Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Questions About How Bc Forums Work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

1. When we go to "my topics" what's the point of the "please wait while we transfer you" screen? I know one extra click is no big deal, but I don't understand why it's there when nowhere else on the site has it that I'm aware of.

2. Why can't we edit our posts after a certain amount of time? I've posted plenty of topics, and a few days later, realize I forgot some crucial info that should be added to my first post, and not posted a few pages away where someone is much less likely to read it.

Forgive my ignorance, I am only curious.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

1. It's only a place holder while the board does a search for "Your topics".

2. The edit lock is common on BBS's for a number of reasons.

First, it assures that those who are tracking the thread receive a notification that info has been added/changed. An edit does not generate that notification, but adding a post does.

It reduces the chance that the thread continuity is disrupted.

It prevents an unscrupulous poster from making the respondents look foolish by changing the character of a post. For example, let's say someone asks "What file extension is produced by a word file?" You answer "most commonly a .doc file". Now that original poster goes back in and edits his post and changes the question to "What do you like for breakfast?" Now your answer doesn't make sense.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,324 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

2. I've posted plenty of topics, and a few days later, realize I forgot some crucial info that should be added to my first post, and not posted a few pages away where someone is much less likely to read it.

For the sake of brevity I have edited your original post down to the part that I am able to answer. ddeerrff, has given a very succinct and accurate answer to the majority of your 2 questions. For the part that I have quoted above, if you happen to have this happen again. You are more than welcome to PM one of the staff and we will be happy to edit your post for you. Give us a link to the post needing editing and the relevant information and we will add it for you.

Animal,
Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:43 PM

ok, thank you, you two :thumbsup:.

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

I have another question...

Why can't we upload pictures and other images from our pc directly to posts? We can upload avatars (pictures/images) from our computer, so why not directly to a post? I know about the free picture hosting sites, but it seems kind of like taking the "long route". Thank you.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,324 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

With the exponential growth of this site, Imagine the processing power and storage capacity it would take to host all the videos and pictures that everyone has posted. Not to mention the thousands of SPAM Posts with images if they were allowed. To keep this site free some sacrifices have to be made. Since there are many FREE hosting sites available we think that one extra step is not that much to ask, to help maintain this site as being free to everyone.

Edited by Animal, 19 July 2007 - 01:43 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

Good enough for me, thanks.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

To Animal's comments, I would only add that dial-up users of this site would have a really hard time loading pages and threads with assorted, and perhaps non-relevant, images.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

The search function has it too doesn't it? not just 'my topics'

#10 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

Yes it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users