Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Airport & Laptop Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sashagregor

sashagregor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hello,

We have just moved house and now have Comcast cable internet (motorola surfboard modem) which is plugged into my Airport Express. I have a MacBook, which detected the new information, adapted, and connects to the internet flawlessly. My husband has a PC laptop equipped with Vista and although it connects to the Airport, it cannot connect to the internet. We've done Vista diagnostics, but we suspect there is either some setting on his PC which isn't allowing the connection or else I've done something to the Airport to disallow internet access to strange computers. We did disable all security on the airport (which is how he was able to connect to the airport) but he can't get to the internet through the airport.

Any thoughts?

Also, our kids have a desktop PC and we'd like that to connect to the internet, too. We figured we'd put in a wireless thingy so it detected the Airport, too. But perhaps there's something better which could solve all the problems?

Thanks in advance!

Sasha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Depending on your ISP, it may not be Vista capable (a call to them might reveal something). But most issues with ISP's revolve around IPv6 compatibility and the DHCP Broadcast Flag (on by default in Vista, off by default in XP). You can turn off IPv6 in your network connections properties, and can disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag with this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

As for the desktop, a wire will provide a more reliable connection, but if that's impractical you can get a wireless adapter. I prefer those that are installed in the PC, feeling that they are a bit faster than those that plug into a USB port.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sashagregor

sashagregor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

Wow! Thank you! :huh: That did it for DH's laptop! My daughter also has a laptop and DH has tried the above trick but, although her laptop (also Vista) is connecting to the airport, it's not connecting to the internet. We tried everything at the link above, but it's "connected to the home network but cannot get to the internet." What's odd is that's the same issue with DH's laptop which was fixed by the above.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

Generally this fix works for a device that doesn't know how to deal with IPv6 or the DHCP Broadcast Flag - and most commonly I've found it to be the ISP that isn't fully Vista compatible. But, this can also be an issue with your router or your modem.

First, I'd suggest cycling the devices in this order:
1) Turn off the modem, router, and all the PC's
2) Turn on the modem and wait 3 minutes
3) Turn on the router and wait 3 minutes
4) Turn on 1 PC and wait 3 minutes
5) Turn on the next PC and wait 3 minutes
6) Continue for the rest of the PC's

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest trying to repair the connection on the PC that doesn't connect. Let us know how it works for you.

Edited by usasma, 18 July 2007 - 05:36 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users