Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Whirring Sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gordon-M

Gordon-M

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hi, folks.

My harddrive makes a whirring sound that speeds up and slows down, increasing in volume accordingly. On a fresh boot-up, it doesn't happen, but if I watch a video on You Tube for example, the sound will begin and may go away after I close the You Tube tab, but sometimes it lasts for ages. Today, it hasn't stopped in over an hour. Everything is working fine on my PC, though, but it is really annoying and I'm a worried about the long term.

Any thought or solutions?

Excellent forum, btw.

- Gordon

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 July 2007 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hey Gordon-M -

:thumbsup: to the board!

What you are describing may be the normal operating sound of your drive.

Are you having any other problems?

Do you know what the make/model is of that drive?

Most importantly, are you making backups?

Edit to add:

Did it always make this sound, or is it something recent?

Edited by JohnWho, 17 July 2007 - 05:40 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Do you have the case opened up to get a good look/listen? Do you have a variable speed CPU fan that might be the cause for the noise?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Gordon-M

Gordon-M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hi, John.

This is a fairly recent thing. Months ago, the sound would occur for a few seconds and then go away, so I didn't give it heed. But right now, as I type this, it is constant, yet of variable tempo/volume. My machine is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo-T with Windows XP, service pack 2.

Cheers.

Do you have the case opened up to get a good look/listen? Do you have a variable speed CPU fan that might be the cause for the noise?
Mark

Open up the case?! I'm not too sure about doing that. Is that a straightforward action?

How do I know if the fan is variable speed? Putting my ear to the fan-grill, it does sound like the fan may be the source of the sound. Why would the fan have variable speeds? Is there any way of keeping it at the same speed?

Thanks, garmanma.

#5 Gordon-M

Gordon-M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

I downloaded this SpeedFan 4.32 software: www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

It allows you to alter the speed of the fan(s). I managed to switch off the fan. No noise any more. But this is dangerous, so I only had it off for 3 seconds. In any case, in turning it off, it just comes back on again. Interesting bit of software, though. Fan 1 sits at around 2500 RPM. Fans 2 and 3 are at zero - I guess I only have one fan. Three temperatures are given: Temp 1 sits at around 48 degress celsius; Temp 2 at around 46; Temp 3 between 15-22 and something called HD0 at 40-48. Little flame symbols appear if it goes over 48 degrees. From what I have gathered elsewhere, temperatures of harddrives should really be in the low 40s. Why are things so hot? All I am doing, is surfing the Net.

How do I turn the fan off permanently? I'll monitor the temperatures and see if it needs to be on all the time.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

If it is a variable speed fan then it is probably the fan on the CPU heat sink, you don't want to disable it as it could result in your computer shutting down in self preservation. If this has increased recently it could be a sign that you need to do a little house cleaning inside the case, an accumulation of dust can reduce the air circulation causing the computer to heat up. A can of air will usually blow most of the dust out, if you blow at a fan first place a pencil through it to keep it from spinning.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users