Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 7 Wont Connect To Url By Bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 callbobby69

callbobby69

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

I have internet explorer 7.0.5730.11 and every time i try to use it .........i click on any book mark and i get a popup asking me if i want to open or save the file . It is a security warning that gives me the name of the bookmark , the type it is (internet shortcut) and where it is from (my c: drive). It goes on to tell me that this type file can be potentially dangerous and if i trust it to either open it or save it . :flowers:
My OS is windows XP with the service pack 2 .
I can enter a url directly into the address bar and hit enter and it will go to the site . As soon as i bookmark that site , i go to bookmarks and click on it and the same thing happens again with the security popup. :thumbsup:
Any suggestions ? :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hi, in IE& have you tried to reset your browser back to default? IE>tools>internet options>advanced>reset.
MCP
MSDST

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Is this the only browser on your computer and what anti-virus are you using?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 callbobby69

callbobby69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

I did the reset and now it stopped popping up the warning at least....but.....now it just sits there when i click a bookmark and will not do anything at all . :trumpet:
It is not my only browser , as a matter of fact i hardly ever use it because of the problems . I use firefox , i started with # 2 and have graduated now up to # 3.06a firefox . It works perfectly .
The anti virus are Windows Defender (always on) , Spyware Terminator (always on) , XoftSpy SE , Spybot search&destroy , AVG Anti Spyware 7.5 . :flowers:
Any suggestions for the new problem ? :thumbsup:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

Try going to tools> options> security tab> select internet and click on custom level. Select default (med. high) and click reset. Here's a link to a similar thread at aumha.org, might offer some insight
Mark

aumha.org
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 callbobby69

callbobby69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

Security was set at Medium.....
The only thing that helps from the aumha.org post is that clicking properties on the bookmark once again does not show a url , it shows the path on my computer where the bookmark is stored as the location...but it does say that it is an internet shortcut file . :thumbsup: ?
Any ideas as to how to get it to store as a url instead of as a file location ?

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

What I would try to do is first export your bookmarks to a flash drive ect. Next go to >tools>internet options>general>delete browsing history (you will loose anty passwords ect you have on web sites you have logged into) Then go to the microsoft update web site and choose custom update and update your IE to the latest version.
Or even better try this browser similar to IE but a lot faster http://www.maxthon.com/
MCP
MSDST

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:26 AM

Could this be that IE is trying to tell you that this is a dangerous website that you're trying to visit? What's the name of the website (and the URL if you've got it)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

Could this be that IE is trying to tell you that this is a dangerous website that you're trying to visit? What's the name of the website (and the URL if you've got it)?

I dont think any of his bookmarks will work usasma, so maybe an update will help?
MCP
MSDST

#10 callbobby69

callbobby69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

I did go to the update site and according to the report i got when i landed on the page , i have already installed the most up to date version of IE available .

Based on your operating system, the version of Internet Explorer 7 below is best for your computer.

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
This is the most common version for use with Windows XP Professional Edition SP2 and Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

You need to run the validation tool : It denied me access to the download .

*******************************************************************************************************
What Others Are Downloading

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Others who downloaded Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP SP2 also downloaded:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB929969)
Compatibility Patch for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB917425)
Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB928089)
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows 64 bit Client/Server

IE7-KB928089-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe is update for 7
******************************************************************************************************

If you encounter a site which does not recognize Internet Explorer 7, a new tool known as the User Agent String Utility has been created to help you work around the problem.....It did not help at all . :trumpet:
******************************************************************************************************
I found out that a special IE is made for people with XP SP2 and got it at http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/Intern...er/4-997-1.html
IE7-KB928089-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe is update for 7
It took over my computer when it installed itself and rebooted a few times . It deleted the version i had installed .
After things settled down i got online and clicked on the IE ....it tried to go to the msn site and then displayed ........Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage .......... :thumbsup:
It is now doing the same thing for every site i try to go to . (My firefox still works great) :flowers:

If your wondering , the site that i have to use it to do anything is slide.com

Now if i can get past the problem of "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage " i should be all set , but i give up for now .
Thanks

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Since Firefox works, the problem is with IE.

How to fix IE:
1) Uninstall IE7 using the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. You will revert back to IE6
2) Test to see if this has fixed your issues (both the original and the subsequent one's)
3) If it doesn't fix it, then try uninstalling SP2 - that is the approved way to repair IE6.
4) Test to see if this has fixed your issues.
5) If all is well, then upgrade cautiously. If all is not well, then it's likely that IE isn't the problem - but rather something is causing it not to work properly (such as a setting or a tweaking/protection program).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 callbobby69

callbobby69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

It's not in the control Panels Add/Remove......i will do a search for it .

#13 callbobby69

callbobby69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Search turned up several places it's located , but none of them has the ability to remove IE . :thumbsup:
Maxthon is downloading as i am typing this .......

Edited by callbobby69, 22 July 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#14 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

If it is not in add/renove it may not of installed correctly, hence the problems.
MCP
MSDST

#15 callbobby69

callbobby69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

:thumbsup:
If you cannot find Internet Explorer 7 listed in the Add/Remove Programs window, click the Show Updates checkbox at the top of the window to reveal it and then proceed with the removal.

It did not show up even after i did that .

Needed to do a search and delete all that turned up . It failed to show me that IE resides in the windows folder and needs to be deleted from there also in order to get it all .I found it by accident and deleted it .
*******************************************************************************************
Now i need to address the problem that microsoft wont validate my windows . I found a crack on the net for the LegitCheck file and replaced it . Now i might be able to get the microsoft IE version to download .

******************************************************************************************
I believe that the IE download i got off the web and installed , is not a good version . The first thing it did was to totally delete all existing versions of IE before it installed itself . That probably shouldn't have happened , as it left me with nothing to go back to . It did not install right , as it never showed up in the add/delete program .

******************************************************************************************
Now i am going to re-boot and see what happens after i hit the logon to windows . :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users