Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Led Mobo Light Is The Only Sign Of Life :(

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sipickles

sipickles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hi,

I really need help now, as I am throwing money at a problem to no avail.

When I got back from holiday, my desktop PC was strangely dead. Its quite old, ASROCK KVM72 mobo, AthlonXP 2400, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6200 AGP.

I suspected the PSU had given up the ghost, so bought a new one. No difference.

Next I thought the mobo must have been fried, so i got a new one from ebay, Gigabyte GA7VA r2.2, which I know for a fact is compatible with my other hardware.

First time I turned it one with the new mobo and it booted the bios, recognised the CPU and RAM OK. Then said NON SYSTEM DISK, which was no surprise since I'd forgotten to connect the HD power!

I turned it off, connected the HD power, and tried to start it again... Nothing. All that happens is the tiny RAM_LED on the mobo lights. Reset button has no effect, holding down power for 3 seconds causes the RAM_LED to go out. When it goes on I can hear a tiny click from the PSU, like it is turning on. No CPU fan, or screen activity.

I've been through various tests, running with various hardware removed but no change.

Is my CPU fried too?????? :thumbsup:

Thanks for any advice

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

What about the fan in the power supply? Do you possibly have a voltmeter to do some checks?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hrm it worked with the HDD unplugged try without the HDD again and see if the computer will post. If it does be sure that the HDD cable is plugged in properly I know old ones can get plugged in upside down if there not keyed. If it still doesnt work with the drive plugged in I'd be looking for a new one.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:49 AM

No, no PSU activity, and it doesn't work without the HDs plugged in either. It just worked once.

I know that a MOBO can start without memory, and will beep a certain no of times to reveal the memory problem, but will it turn on without a CPU?

I am wondering if I had PSU failure which nuked MOBO, CPU and probably RAM too?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if there's no power supply activity - it's the power supply. If it's an ATX P.S. the momentary button might not be connected properly, It doesn't need to be in the case connected to everything to work. You can run it out of the case on the bench. Maybe you've bought a bad one or it's underpowered Power supplies can be quirky. It doesn't save any money to buy a cheap off=brand one. Are you sure all of the connections to the mobo are correct?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 19 July 2007 - 08:02 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

I guess thats possible....

its 400W, and it seems strange that two PSU aren't working... I'll test again later

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

You can determine if the PSU is the problem with a voltmeter. Turn off the PSU by the switch on its rear or unplug it from the wall. remove the 20 pin connector from the motherboard and place a wire jumper between the green wire socket and any black wire socket, this bypasses the motherboard to turn on the PSU. Turn the PSU back on and use the DC scale of the voltmeter to read the different rail voltages.

This site will provide you with the color code and the associated rail voltages.

You might want to make sure that you motherboard isn't shorting to the case where it is mounted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

It could be a short. Have you tired starting the machine outside the case? With just the CPU and memory plugged in and the motherboard on some non-conductive surface?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:13 PM

My apologies where I missed that the power supply wasn't working, Follow the advice given and we can go from there.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 bbboogie2

bbboogie2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:05 PM

Make sure your wall socket is good (plug a lamp there). I don't know if this is still the case but Power supplys used to have 2 settings, a 220 or 110 setting. Make sure that it is set correctly for your power outlet.

#11 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

Ok, heres an update:

I've got new PSU, mobo and CPU now.

When I powerup the system on the bench, it turns on for 5 seconds and turns off (PSU fan comes on and mobo light lights, 12v on yellow wire, 5v on red thank god!).

Now the only pieces still of the original system are the RAM and the mobo battery... could it be the mobo battery?

Thanks

Si

Edited by sipickles, 25 July 2007 - 02:26 PM.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

I have seen stranger things happen check it with the voltmeter, have you tried the ram in a different computer it could be faulty too. Has the computer made it to the post screen? Have you made sure you have connected ALL of the power connections to the computer. In newer systems along with the 20/24 pin ATX connector on the motherboard there is an aditional 4 pin CPU connector that needs to be plugged in as well.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

Is there thermal paste between the new CPU and the CPU cooler?

It's probably not the mobo battery (they generally don't cause these symptoms) - but they're a heck of a lot cheaper than new RAM!

I'd opt for testing the memory in another system - that'll tell you if it's the memory or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

Well, I think I can discount the ram. That mobo will produce the beeps signifying missing or faulty ram if that is the case.

Its a direct replacement for the mobo I had before, so it doesn't use the extra 4 power connectors.

It doesn't make it to POST screen

I'll get a battery on the way home from work

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

Usasma asked a very important question about using thermal compound or a thermal pad, with out this the CPU can over heat very quickly and will shut down the system.

It looks like you're doing a minimal build on the bench, but be sure that you have no motherboard shorts to any other objects.

Have you cleared the CMOS?

Edited by dc3, 26 July 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users