Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Anyone Ever Seen Anything Like This Before?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 solid13

solid13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

This is a screenshot of my Add/Remove Programs applet. I just recently opened it up and found all of these weird looking "programs" in it(the ones annotated by my super-creative red dot), the likes of which I honestly have never seen before and they have me a little worried. So, has anyone else seen anything like this before? Is this some kind of spyware or malware? You'll also notice on the one that I highlighted that there are no "change" or "remove" options (this is the same for all of them), however, these options are still present on the obviously legitimate programs (i.e. Adobe Reader), so it's not a problem with the Add/Remove applet itself, at least I'm pretty sure. Also, my OS is an OEM of Windows XP Pro. that I recently purchased from Fry's Electronics. So am I just totally missing something here? Or is this not normal? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

http://www.spywarepoint.com/forums/showthr...age=3&pp=10
#29 17-03-2007, 07:41 PM
QUOTE:
These are Intel PRO Wireless software components

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These components will be present on any PC with this hardware. Nothing to do with DELL other than the coincidence that your DELL contains this wireless card.

Some other manifestations you may find:

- a folder called iprodata on your PC which will probably contain the installation packages (MSI files)

- a file called iproinst.ini that these packages

- an Intel folder in Program Files with more related stuff

It's not a good job by intel to install unnamed packages like this: reeks of shoddy workmanship - but what can you expect, they probably have a lab full of geek students fresh out of college building this stuff, maybe they don't even speak english. Intel can't want us to think they're a proper professional outfit.

Anyway: if you want a wireless net and don't want to guess what these geeks have built to support it, I suggest you don't touch them. If you don't want a wireless network or want to play guess what the amateurs at Intel are up to, then get removing!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 solid13

solid13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

Oh ok, thanks. It's just weird that this is the first time that these showed up in my Add/Remove applet. They were never there before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users