Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fujitsu Hard Disk Error Code B101s3

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

The dialogue in connection with this commenced here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/96895/a-disk-read-error-ocurred/ but now it has been defined as a HD issue thought it more appropriate to continue here.

Just to summarise to save reading the other thread. Basically the other thread the possibility of my system being infected by malware of any type has been ruled out and obviously by the title my HD is at fault.

I have emailed Fujitsu asking for an interpretation of the error hoping of course they come up with something like it's a loose connection. Unlikely but never say never. In the mean time I'm looking for a replacement internal HD and also on the market for an external HD for back up purposes.

I was alerted to the fact that I should be careful in choosing the capacity of the new drives as my laptop BIOS may not recognise large capacity drives. Thanks Oldf@rt.

My questions are:

1) anyone recognise the error code or able to point me in the right direction?

2) How do I ascertain what capacity HD my BIOS will recognise?

3) Does the recognision size of the BIOS apply to both external and internal drives?

Thanks.

Edited by goodtyneguy, 17 July 2007 - 12:04 PM.

Hardware: Lenovo G580 2689 Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @2.2GHz Dual core  | 6 Gig RAM |

Software: Windows 8.1 | Advanced System Care Ultimate | Windows Firewall | IObits' Malware Fighter Free | Emsisoft Free |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

The limit in the BIOS is 137GB, and this applies to all hdds. The service pack 2 for XP addresses this issue, and you should be able to see the capacity of larger drives with it installed, you may be able to flash the BIOS for a newer version which would recognize the larger hdds.

Edited by dc3, 17 July 2007 - 12:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

The limit in the BIOS is 137GB, and this applies to all hdds. The service pack 2 for XP addresses this issue, and you should be able to see the capacity of larger drives with it installed, you may be able to flash the BIOS for a newer version which would recognize the larger hdds.

Is this recognision size specific to laptops?

There is an update to my BIOS on Fujitsus' site to download but there's no indication that it will recognise larger HDD's?

I'm a bit reluctant to flash it as there is some horror stories on the Fujitsu forums of people attemping to do this and ending up with big problems. I d/L'd the "exe" file to a floppy then after double clickin on it I was presented with a dialogue box giving me three choices, copy, mirror or extract files. I chose extract and the files mentioned in the instructions below began to be deposited onto the floppy. A dialogue box popped up for two of the files saying there had been an error in extracting them but they still appeared on the floppy.

Installation description:
* BIOS Flash-update for Fujitsu Siemens *
* AMILO D-6820, D-7820, D-8820 *
* Product.Nr: none *

After running %EXEFILENAME% the floppy disk should contain following files:

flash.bat
H2U_A1F.abl
H2UMBD.EXE
more.com
Nvram.lst
Phlash16.exe
readme.txt
readme.bat

To flash your BIOS boot in DOS-mode and run flash.bat from the floppy disk.

!! Connect AC adapter before flashing !!
! Please reboot your system after flashing !

current BIOS R01-A1F:

Solved problems:

- Check of correct thermal settings added. If the correct settings are not found,
the system will shut down.

Known errors, problems and restrictions:

- none

Additional information:

- none

***************************************************************************************

predecessor R01-A1E:

Solved problems:

- The CPU cooling surveillance is optimized.

- none

Additional information:

- none

***************************************************************************************
predecessor R01-A1D:

Solved problems:

- Support for Intel Pentium4 D1 stepping CPUs.

none

Additional information:

- Added the Intel logo to the POST screen.

predecessor R01-A1C:

Solved problems:

- Improved date and time accuracy of RTC (Real Time Clock)
- Supports thermal HW solution for new mainboard revision which might be introduced.

- none

Additional information:

- Updated VideoBIOS for the new Samsung VRAM video memory.
It is mandatory to use this BIOS Version in case of an LCD replacement.

predecessor R01-A1A:

Solved problems:

- Phase in of graphical user interface so that the handling of Flash update
is the same as D-6800, D-7800, D-8800.

- none

Additional information:

- none

predecessor R01-A0W:

Initial BIOS.

none

Additional information:
none

My Bios number is R01- A1C so there has been a few updates since mine, I presume they are cumulative i.e you don't have to update them incrementally?

I have a DOS bootable floppy so I presume I use this to boot up and then insert the floppy with the up to date BIOS and run the flash.bat file?

Edited by goodtyneguy, 18 July 2007 - 09:36 PM.

Hardware: Lenovo G580 2689 Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @2.2GHz Dual core  | 6 Gig RAM |

Software: Windows 8.1 | Advanced System Care Ultimate | Windows Firewall | IObits' Malware Fighter Free | Emsisoft Free |

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

As I wrote previously, this is specific to hard drives, this includes the hdds in laptops. A hdd is a hdd is a hdd...

Don't worry about flashing you BIOS, I only mention it as one of the solutions. If you have the SP2 for XP then you should be good to go.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

BIOS flashes are easy...

Easy to do,
and very EASY to mess up.

Triple check everything, have a copy of the instructions printed out, and don't do anything or press any keys unless you're absolutely sure of what to do. Don't take any chances by guessing at a key press.

Don't interrupt the flash for any reason what so ever. Sit on your hands while doing it, lock away any cats, dogs or kids, do it at a time that's not likely to have power outages, etc, etc, etc.

Then cross your fingers and hope. The way you'll know that it works is if your system will boot up past the BIOS post screens without errors. If by chance the flash goes awry, there are ways of fixing it, but it's a detailed, specialized repair that will involve soldering a new BIOS chip to your mobo.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

That's scary!

Still tempted to give it a go, before I do can someone look at the instructions quoted above and confirm my methodolgy/thinking below is correct or otherwise?

1)

I d/L'd the "exe" file to a floppy then after double clicking on it I was presented with a dialogue box giving me three choices, copy, mirror or extract files. I chose "extract" and the files mentioned in the instructions above were deposited onto the floppy".

2)

My Bios number is R01- A1C so there has been a few updates since mine, I presume they are cumulative i.e you don't have to update them incrementally?

3)

I have a DOS bootable floppy so I presume I use this to boot up and then insert the floppy with the up to date BIOS and run the flash.bat file?

Thanks...... from a trembling user

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

1) Does the floppy disk contain these files:

After running %EXEFILENAME% the floppy disk should contain following files:

flash.bat
H2U_A1F.abl
H2UMBD.EXE
more.com
Nvram.lst
Phlash16.exe
readme.txt
readme.ba

If so, then it was done right.

2) Generally it's not recommended to leap a whole lot of BIOS updates. And, most often it's suggested to do it in steps of 2 or 3 revisions. Is seems to me that you're updating from R01-A1C to R01-A1F and that's not a great leap so I'd just go for that one in one step.

3)

To flash your BIOS boot in DOS-mode and run flash.bat from the floppy disk.

!! Connect AC adapter before flashing !!
! Please reboot your system after flashing !

So, you'll boot from the DOS floppy into DOS, then switch disks and run flash.bat from the flash disk.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:12 AM

That's a very re-assuring reply John but there is one other issue that is of concern to me which I mentioned in a post before my last one.

I d/L'd the "exe" file to a floppy then after double clicking on it I was presented with a dialogue box giving me three choices, writing to floppy, mirror or extract files. I chose extract and the files mentioned in the instructions below began to be deposited onto the floppy. A dialogue box popped up for two of the files saying there had been an "error in writing"..... I clicked on OK and they appeared on the floppy.

Originally I downloaded the WinImage Self Extracting file to my desktop then copied it to the floppy. Thinking that there may have been an issue copying I then dowloaded the file from Fujitsu directly to the floppy and got the same "error writing" message. I then fully formatted the floppy and tried again to no avail and repeated, again to no avail. I then copied files from my HD at random to the floppy without any problems, I was able to open these files successfully. I have to say that I could n't test other self extracting file as I don't have any on my HD (at least not that I'm aware of).

To check the integrity of the floppy I tried the exercise out on another (barely used) one but experienced the same results. I have to say that the floppy drive has had very little use whatsoever since I acquired the laptop new.

I then created a folder for the WinImage file on C:\ , double clicked on it and chose the same folder to save the files to. On this ocassion I was not presented with a dialogue box with the 3 options (writing to floppy, mirror or extract) as I was when I did this on the floppy. The files extracted without a problem but I noticed that there were more files in the folder than there were when I extracted to the floppy. Further more, some of the sizes of the files (Kb) were different?

As you can imagine I have no confidence at this stage to even contemplate flashing (aint got the dirty raincoat either :-))

Is n't life just wonderful :-(

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

Then cross your fingers and hope. The way you'll know that it works is if your system will boot up past the BIOS post screens without errors. If by chance the flash goes awry, there are ways of fixing it, but it's a detailed, specialized repair that will involve soldering a new BIOS chip to your mobo.

Sometimes you luck out and have a mobo with a removable chip. I've used these people before
biosman.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

I apologize for missing the error in extracting the files (eye problems, see my avatar). You are correct in assuming that it's not good to try a BIOS flash with corrupted files - could be a large scale disaster! :thumbsup:

For some reason there's an error extracting these files on your system - so the next step would be to try it on another system. If you can give us the link for the download sites that you've used, I can try it on my system to see what happens. It could be a problem with the files that were downloaded, a problem with the download process itself, or a problem with the extraction, or even a problem with your Windows installation. Independent verification will help us to narrow down which one it is.

#11 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

garmanma, thanks for the link, they look very good.

I did n't want to open my laptop, (I''ve tried before and came across resistance after I'd taken out all the screws) so I downloaded and ran ctbios. I sent a screenshot of the result plus the spec. of my laptop to biosman but they said they could n't identify my chip from this and I'd still need to open it up and take the details from the chip :-( Having said this since my first attempt I have read that there are couple of other hidden screws which I will have to extract. Hopefully if I can resolve the issue with the corrupted files then it will not be necessary...... famous last words. I may well buy one of their kits anyway, very useful to have for future use and no down time if the worst happens.

John, good idea, simple....why could I not have thought of that. The link to the download is here http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/sup.../downloads.html if you would like to "give it a swing" for me. In the mean time I'll get my spare lappy out and do them same.

We'll crack this baby together I'm sure, as always help much appreciated :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh dear.... I've just remembered my spare lappy does n't have a floppy drive :-( ........ over to you John :-)

Edited by goodtyneguy, 21 July 2007 - 07:50 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

It didn't work when I extracted it in Vista, but it did work in my XP Virtual Machine (extracted to a folder on the Desktop). I got 12 files like this:

Command.com - 92kb
Data256 - 1kb
flash.bat - 1kb
H2u_a1f.abl - 515kb
H2UMBD.EXE - 27kb
IO.SYS - 218kb
MORE.COM - 11kb
MSDOS.SYS - 0kb
Nvram.lst - 27 kb
Phlash16.exe - 65kb
readme.bat - 1kb
readme.txt - 3kb

So, all is well with the download site and the file that was downloaded (but it won't work with Vista)

Options for booting a laptop that doesn't have a floppy are:
1) Get a USB floppy drive and boot from that (if the BIOS allows)
2) Make a DOS boot CD (with CD-ROM support), include the BIOS flash stuff on it (to save having to make 2 separate CD's), and flash from it.

But I'd suggest doing this procedure on another system with a floppy drive, then carrying the floppy over to your system to update the BIOS. Then we can work on figuring out why the extraction doesn't work on your system.

#13 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

John, my spare lappy is not the one that I want to flash the bios and is working OK. All I was saying is that I could n't try extracting the files on a different system to a floppy as it does n't have a floppy drive. The "error writing" is only occuring when extracting to a floppy disk.

When I extract the files on my hard drive I get a file list identical to the one in your post but when I do the same on to a floppy (which I have just done) I get an "error writing"message for three of the files (see below), you will notice for two of the files nothing has been written and the third has not been fully written:-

Nvram.1st - 0 kb
Phlash16 - 0 kb
H2u_a1f.abl - 378 kb

The rest are OK.

John, could you try extracting to a floppy and let me know the result?

Thanks

EDIT: Forget that last request John I now know where the problem lies :thumbsup:

I copied the self extractor to the floppy (688 kb's) and then extracted the files (957 kb's) to the same floppy.

1737 kb's on a 1.44 mb floppy........ duh :flowers:

Never gave this a passing thought as in these circumstances it's normal to be prompted to insert another floppy?

Now the hard bit...... plucking up the courage to go thru' with the flash :trumpet:

I may purchase the biosman kit first, what do you think?

Off to record my CMOS settings anyway.

Edited by goodtyneguy, 21 July 2007 - 09:46 AM.

#14 goodtyneguy

goodtyneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

My laptop "blue screened" and is saying it is not detecting an operating system. I should be able to get it started up with the boot disks I've got.

I'm going to order an external HDD now but I'm still not clear on what is the maximum size I can go for, dc3 mentioned 137 Gb's A assume this applies to both external and internal.

With regard to my internal HDD, will this be a 2.5" drive and what do i need to look for SATA, ATA or EIDE or something else?? :thumbsup:

Edited by goodtyneguy, 21 July 2007 - 07:18 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

If you stick a larger hard drive in the system, the worst that can happen is that only 137 gB are recognized. I did this with my boot disk on my desktop (being lazy) and formatted the drive at 135 gB - leaving the extra 15 gB as unallocated space (I've got 150 gB drives). Or, you can partition it in 1/2 - then format the other half once you're in Windows.

Generally, you can use any size of external drive - if the BIOS doesn't recognize it, it's a fairly simple process to partition it into 137 gB or less partitions. This may be a PITA tho' - if you decide to go for one of the terabyte sized drives that are currently available. But on the smaller one's it'll only mean 2 or 3 partitions.

A new laptop hard drive is fairly inexpensive and may not even approach the 137 gB limit (most commonly they're found in 80 and 100 gB sizes). The Fujitsu MHS2060AT is a 60 gB EIDE hard drive - so you'll be looking for something at least 60 gB in size and with the EIDE interface (and it's a 2.5" drive as you stated earlier). You could even get one of the newer 250 gB drives and partition it into 137 gB chunks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users