Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ata Vs. Sata Vs. Oem Hdd's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

I'm looking to buy a new hdd to replace the one that jacked up in my desktop. I've found some pretty good deals online (relative to what i've seen in stores), but one thing still confuses me. I'm not sure if i should get the ATA or SATA (or OEM, but i suspect that doesn't mean anything) drives.

These are the 2 i'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16822144203

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16822144415

The first is the ATA, and the second is the SATA, both have the same capacity and RPM. I've read some articles about which is better, but there's really nothing conclusive. The main point i got out of the articles is that the SATA drives are generally "5% better" than the ATA. Both drives (listed above) cost the same, and seem to have the same specs.

So, should i get the SATA or the ATA? Do i need to check my computer settings to see if it accepts one over the other?

Thanx in advance for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

OEM= original equipment manufacturer the drive is not in a retail box.

SATA faster of the two, but your computer must have support for this interface, if not you are "Stuck" with ATA. Here is a link to give you and idea what the connection looks like http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...0%2c+5+-+Retail

Edited by oldf@rt, 17 July 2007 - 12:04 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Yeeeeeeeah, i don't have anything that looks like that. I'm running 2 hdd's right now off an IDE cable, so i'm assuming that means ATA only.

Thanx for the reply oldf@rt, now i don't have to "flip a coin" and hope that i come out w/ the right drive, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users