Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 a likely story

a likely story

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

for the past couple of weeks my computer has been running VERY slowly. i tried to fix the problem by the usual means (defragmenting, checking for errors) and those didn't work. i think, though, that i have pinpointed the problem...quite randomly and quite frequently, my cpu usage jumps up into the 80%-100% range. i don't have excess programs hogging up the usage and am about at my wits end to try and get my computer to run normally again. any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

Have you scanned for infections? If so what have you run, and did you do this in safe mode?

Have you looked at your task manager to see what is using the resources?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 a likely story

a likely story
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

i just did a scan in safe mode yesterday...nothing.

and right now internet explorer, explorer.exe, and svchost.exe are using the most and it's at 2-%10 right now

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

i just did a scan in safe mode yesterday...nothing.

and right now internet explorer, explorer.exe, and svchost.exe are using the most and it's at 2-%10 right now

Please provide us with the following information.

What did you use to scan for infections? This could be an infection and no single utility can guarantee that they will be able to scan for all types of infections.

How much RAM do you have?
How large is your hdd and how much free space do you have?

When you read the CPU usage where are you reading it? If you are using the task manager to view this look and see what is running when you are reaching the 100% usage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:53 AM

In the hopes of a fast "cure" I'll offer this suggestion...try disabling Windows Updates (TEMPORARILY) to see if that stops the high usage. If so, post back and let us know - there are fixes/workarounds available for this particular bug. Don't forget to re-enable Windows Updates when you're done! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users