Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It Says Harddrive Imminent Failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 annabel

annabel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

I forgot to shut down my computer for a complete day and before i went to Florida my sister had shut it down, but by holding down the power button cause she doesn't know how to otherwise. Now, when i turn on the computer it says Hard drive imminent failure then it leaves the options "press f10 for computer setup and f1 for boot". If i hit f1 it starts up, but then once it loads it freezes. I have a feeling that i may have to reformat, but i can't seem to find my reformatting disk or the drivers disk. Are there any other options, or can i go about doing this without the disks?

Edited by annabel, 17 July 2007 - 08:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hi annabel and welcome to bleeping computer.

That message usually means that you have a bad sector on the hard drive or that it is going south. Can open in safe mode?

What make and model is your computer?

Edit: 07/18/07 Annabel has sent me a pm and I have requested that she post her questions here where she can get all of the staff resources and members to assist her.

Edited by dc3, 18 July 2007 - 09:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 annabel

annabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

I've tried turning it on in safe mode using the site that was given to me to help go about doing that:

http://jayloden.com/SafeMode.htm

But i still get the same error what can i try now? I've been able to get on several times, but only for a short amount of time before it froze again. Sometimes the error message doesn't appear and starts up correctly, but it still freezes.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

Does the message begin with "SMART failure predicted on primary master: XXXXXXXX"
"WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent."?

if you are getting this message: get your files backed up!! i say again, get your files backed up.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 annabel

annabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

No, it only says that the hardware detect imminent failure.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

My recommendation is not to take any chances, and to make copies or back up your data immediately. Normally when you get messages like that the hard drive is getting ready to fail. maybe today, maybe next week or month, it is hard to predict, as the messages are deliberately dumbed down.

#7 annabel

annabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Okay, well the files are not what's really important to me all i really need is to get it working properly again. Do you know of any methods i could go about doing to try and fix this?

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

The only thing that I can think of is to go into the bios and turn off smart monitoring, I don't recommend it. the best thing would be to replace the hard drive.

#9 annabel

annabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

And what would it take to replace the hard drive?

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

what kind of computer is this? we need to know if you have an ide or sata hard drive, if the machine is off the shelf or custom, what model is it, do you have the restore discs or the os disc and driver discs. placing the new hard drive in the computer is simple, but everything that must be done after can become complicated.

check this Guide on Installation.

#11 annabel

annabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

what kind of computer is this? we need to know if you have an ide or sata hard drive, if the machine is off the shelf or custom, what model is it, do you have the restore discs or the os disc and driver discs. placing the new hard drive in the computer is simple, but everything that must be done after can become complicated.

check this Guide on Installation.

The computer is a compaq 95, but im not sure what kind of hard drive it is. I have misplaced the drivers discs thats why i haven't tried reformatting the computer. The only disc that i do seem to have is a recovery disc, I've gotten this computer awhile ago and have lost a lot of parts to it.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

It might be hard to find a hard drive for a windows 95 machine or a machine of that age. You will probably have to look on ebay for something about 8 to 12 gig in size. What windows is on the machine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users