Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware removers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 j_aerous

j_aerous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:50 AM

hi guys
i have 4 spyware removers i lieke to keep two but i dont which to choose form
Spybot,ad-ware Pro,Microsoft Anti-spyware Beta 1 ,and webroot which do u think i should keep
Dont Give up Ur pc withOut a fight
J_aERous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:18 AM

It is more or less a personal choice. I have tried them all. Excepting for the MS Beta. Which I can not comment on. I have not tried it. And do not plan on doing so. It is a Beta version. And comes with no technical support. Although they have set up News Groups to help users with any questions that they may have. Those that have tried it, may like it.

The rest are fine programs though. You may also want to check into aČ and Spyware Blaster. These two along with the others that I use are linked in my sig.

Known issues concerning the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...leasenotes.mspx

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroup...pyware&sLCID;us

Edited by scarlett, 27 January 2005 - 08:58 AM.

Posted Image

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:48 AM

Why do you want to limit yourself to 2?
In my opinion, if there's not a resource problem, there's no such thing as too much protection.
There's no single program, or 2 for that matter, that can catch everything.
Besides the programs I use , I also do online scans on a regular basis, just to be sure.
And with the persistence of the spyware/malware perpetrators, even that, isn't a guarantee.

Programs I use (in the never ending battle):
aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

Online scans I use:
Panda Activescan
Trendmicro Housecall
TrojanScan
PestPatrol
Webroot
AumHa.org
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:59 AM

If you most choose two, Spybot and Ad-AwareSE seem to be the most respected of the anti-spyware applications. MS is a beta, and may produce a lot of false-positives, although in time it might be useful; additionally, there are fewer updates to its defintions. I cannot comment on Webroot.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

jgweed

If you would like to give it a try Webroot's full version of SpySweeper is available for a thirty day trial here. I think its one of the best going.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 j_aerous

j_aerous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

will i didnt think i would be doing this but i get this other programs
aČ free,SpywareBlaster And SpywareGuard i got rid of webroot cos i can just us the online one thanks guys ur the best
J_aERous

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:57 PM

Your welcome, j_aerous.

Glad, to be of help.

Just remember to keep your security programs updated.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:10 PM

cos i can just us the online one

You can't depend on being able to get online when you have any type of computer infection.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:11 PM

Just remember that you need to update SpywareBlaster manually. There are no automatic updates available for the free version. I try to do mine at the very least, once a week. Before you ever scan with any of them. Update

Edited by scarlett, 27 January 2005 - 08:16 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Acadia

Acadia

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

Yo, why not keep many? AdAware (free version) and Spybot only use System Resources when you bring them up and run them. Normally they are not doing anything and using zero resources. Also, SpywareBlaster, one excellent program, protects you all the time but still uses no System Resources. Only MicroSoft Anti-Spyware use resources but is an awesomely powerful program. So I personally would use AdAware, Spybot (both which you must remember to bring up and run AT LEAST once a week), SpywareBlaster which protects you constantly but uses no energy, and the MS program which runs constantly like a virus scanner. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Acadia

Edited by Acadia, 27 January 2005 - 08:52 PM.

#11 CalamityKen

CalamityKen

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:56 AM

This a good article:

Anti-adware misses most malware

By Brian Livingston

Now that 80% of home PCs in the U.S. are infected with adware and spyware, according to one study, it turns out that nearly every anti-adware application on the market catches less than half of the bad stuff.

That's the conclusion of a remarkably comprehensive series of anti-adware tests conducted recently by Eric Howes, an instructor at the University of Illinois.

Howes, a well-known researcher among PC security professionals, collected 20 different anti-adware applications. He then infected a fresh install of Windows 2000 SP4 and Office 2000 SP3 with several dozen adware programs in separate stages. Finally, he counted how many active adware components were removed by each anti-adware product.

(Note: I use the single term "adware" in this article to refer to both "adware" and "spyware." Since it's not necessary for a spyware program to "call home" to be disruptive, the distinction between adware and spyware is meaningless. All such programs display ads or generate revenue for the adware maker in some other way. )

Howes's tests were conducted over a period of weeks in October 2004. His results were mentioned at the time in several places, including Slashdot and eWeek.

http://windowssecrets.com/050127/#story1

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:45 AM

The fine article by Howes linked to below compares several popular programs, and indicates the data and methodology on which the recommendations are based (reading the entire article does not support the conclusion about "half the adware is not caught, but the author does recommend using at least TWO spyware applications):

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

Included is a very good list of things to do to keep your computer free of spyware:

http://spywarewarrior.com/sww-help.htm#other

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 j_aerous

j_aerous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:26 AM

:thumbsup: thanks guys
J_aERous

0 user(s) are reading this topic