Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Remove Norton From My Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phishy25

phishy25

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

Norton came pre installed on my computer and has been a pain ever since I got it. It makes my computer outrageously slow, ie. MS word takes over 5 minutes to open due to lengthly virus scans. Now it seems to be corrupted because when I click on it nothing will open. Last night I tried to uninstall it thinking I could re-install it or something else. The uninstall failed and I tried several times. Then I downloaded the Norton Removal Tool but cannot use it because it is not signed. I get this error message: SYMnrt: Invalid Signature. The file is not signed so it won't run.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:05 AM

See the following Symantec link.

Error: "SymNRT: Invalid signature. This file is not signed so it won't run."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 phishy25

phishy25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

Thank you. I followed the link exactly but it didn't work. I am still getting the same error message.

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Just so you know up front, I am fairly new to computers, and generally only answer very basic questions. But, I had a bear of a time getting Norton off of my PC, too. (I have an HP, and Norton was "bundled" throughout the PC when I bought it.

The NRT never worked for me, either, even though it ran (unlike your problem). But this did:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_ful..._my_system.html
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_...on_from_pc.html

I did this a while ago; notice that the second link is actually revised instructions to the first link. In fact, the first link that I show has a link within that page to the second link that I show.

Good luck!

EDIT: I knew that it worked when my Windows Security Center stopped reading "You have more than one anti-virus", and changed to "AVG reports that it is up to date and scanning is on".

Edited by rlprlp, 17 July 2007 - 07:58 PM.

#5 starh

starh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Before install McAfee, it will prompt to uninstall other antivirus. If you say yes, it will automatically uninstall the former antivirus.
Maybe it is a way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users