Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just A Wee Thought About The Heat And Humans Right Now ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

At the risk of sounding dreadfully like a 'goody two shoes', I wonder if I might ask for a favour?

When we trundle by those sometimes 'scary' homeless people - and the heat is high as it is here now - maybe on the way out of the grocery store or corner 7-11, an extra bottle of water or chocolate milk or coffee could be purchased and given, on the way by, to a person occupying the sidewalk.

Was speaking with a couple homesless gentlemen today and one in particular was saying how hard it was to get water to drink. Restaurants won't let them in (and most understand why), stores don't want them either, most shelters toss them out at a certain time each am and don't let them return until a set time each late afternoon so getting a drink of water there is impossible too - and now few parks have drinking fountains anymore.

Anyway, just a wee thought.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

Thats very kind and considerate MaraM and certainly something we should all worry about.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

I dont have any homeless people around here.
At least none I know of.

#4 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

Same here, I know of none. I guess if I go into the city tomorrow I may stumble across some...in that case I will be taking a spare bottle of water for them!
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

I took a homeless gentleman out for a bite to eat a couple weeks ago and he told me how hard it was sometimes to endure the heat....but he explained he would "rather endure the heat of the summer than the cold of winter." Luckily we are in the deep south and the winters don't get that bad.

By the way, it was very awkward and depressing having to drop him off at a corner that he chose.

Oh, and I believe its an excellent idea Mara. Seemingly. nothing lifts a homeless man's spirit like something to eat/drink, and an encouraging word.

Edited by jwinathome, 17 July 2007 - 08:09 AM.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

I don't know of any around me. Though I live in a small town, we do have the occasional hitch hiker on the state routes, but besides that I haven't seen anyone homeless...

Well I take that back, I do remember seeing this one white vehicle near one of our small waterfalls (man-made) and it was always there when I would drive by. Usually at odd hours, like very early in the morning, mid-day, or evening. I never saw it move, and of course I though it must be someone who really likes to fish. :thumbsup: But then again foreclosures in my little town seem to be pretty high. Heck, my mom, brother and I had to move in with my grandma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users