Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Pcs Don't Automatically "see" Server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

I often work with, and add computers too, an E-Net LAN that uses two Linux servers - one as a "Samba Server" and the other running a Unix/Linux based program that is accessed through terminal emulation software.

The problem I have:

Most of the 25 PCs are running Win XP (either Home or Pro).

I have multiple "mapped" drives to the Linux/Samba PC. When a PC boots up, it loads a program that uses two of those mapped drives. On most PCs, the program loads in "startup" without any problem. But on a few of them, and not necessarily all of the time, when the program loads it does not detect the mapped drives and gives errors specific to the program. On at least one PC, the problem is constant each time it boots.

If I then open Windows Explorer, and "open" the two mapped drives, they show up correctly. After doing this in Windows Explorer, that program in "startup" will now load correctly.

In other words, once the mapped drives are "found" in Windows Explorer, the program will load, but until I go through this routine, the mapped drives are not seen by the program.

I am not at the network now, so what I'm hoping is someone can give me some suggestions as to where to look for a possible configuration change.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

Could this be a delay issue? Maybe delaying the mapping of the drive until later in the startup sequence will alleviate this issue?

Or, it could be issues with drivers/OS components that are outdated and can't keep up with the speed of the boot process and network detection - maybe updating the NIC drivers on the affected PC's would help?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the response, usasma.

I'm not sure how to delay the mapping - is there some sort of setting somewhere?

I'll check for updated NIC drivers, although we have no problem with the workstations other than what I've described.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

I've seen a startup delay tool somewhere recently - let me check.....

Here it is (thanks to Freeware-Guide.com): http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

Also, here's a link to an article on how to delay services starting: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;193888

I listed some other tips in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry399809
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

I believe we may be on to something with the "delay" tactics, usasma.

Today I booted the system, and waited about 5 minutes before trying the program and it connected OK. We are going to test that over the week to see if it remains consistant. (Not the "5 minutes" specifically, but a least waiting a few minutes before we try running that one program.)

The main program that they are running on that PC has no problem, so this is mostly a minor inconvenience.

It's beginning to look like a network browsing issue that resolves itself after a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users