Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With A Few Computers At Work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hi, I do some computer troubleshooting as a part time job, and I've been asked to create a harddrive image on a Dell Optiplex GX260. Seems like an easy job, but I've run into a couple of problems that I can't figure out.

1st problem:
After installing Windows XP SP2 and the necessary drivers, I try to install Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10, but immediately after, and everytime I boot up the computer, I get a chain of application errors for rtvscan.exe, and autoprotect doesn't initiate.

Strange thing is I've done this for the GX270 without any problems, using the exact same procedures (with different drivers, of course). I thought it might be a conflict with drivers, so I tried installing Symantec Antivirus before any of the drivers, but I still got the errors.

2nd problem:
I thought that the 1st problem might be specific to that computer, so I tried doing it with another GX260, but whenever I tried to install windows, it would finish formatting the harddrive, and then say that "setup was unable to format the harddrive."

Thinking it was a bad harddrive, I took the harddrive from the other GX260, and swapped it in, but the computer wouldn't even detect any of the partitions or the previous XP installation - it just treated it like a new harddrive. When I tried doing a fresh install of XP over it, I had the same problems.

I thought it might be the cable, so I swapped that out for a working one, and it didn't do anything.

I'm all out of ideas. I don't know if the I'm making some mistake or if it's a problem inherent to the GX260. Any thoughts on either of the problems are greatly appreciated.

-Thanks for reading

Edited by Ragnarok31, 16 July 2007 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

I have had that happen to me on a re-install from time to time. I have never determined what the cause was but I was able to install the OS by first Wiping the drive, then partitioning, and finally formating.

This may or may not work for you but the computers I work with are Dell GX1, and GX110.

Try using Kill Disk
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

I'm curious -

did re-partitioning and formating work, or did you have to wipe the drive first?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

Ah, I thought that the windows installer would wipe the harddrive for you. I'll try doing what you said.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

wiping the boot sector should suffice

is bios virus protection turned off?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

http://entkb.symantec.com/security/output/...2717252948.html

This is the Symantec installation page for antivirus 10. rtvscan.exe is a symantec program.(NORTON)
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#7 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

wiping the boot sector should suffice

is bios virus protection turned off?

I don't see any virus protection in the bios configurations, so I'm guessing there is none.

#8 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

http://entkb.symantec.com/security/output/...2717252948.html

This is the Symantec installation page for antivirus 10. rtvscan.exe is a symantec program.(NORTON)

I'm trying to install symantec antivirus on the computer as an unmanaged client.

Also, I've just started running killdisk for problem #2, and I'm going to leave it on over the weekend. I'll update you guys with results when it's done.

Thanks

#9 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

Killdisk didn't help. Any more ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users