Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URGENT HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matt_com911

matt_com911

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:20 AM

I'm in URGENT need of help here. If ANYONE can help please post back. i had recently installed fedora core 2 on my computer, but decided to delete the partitions. So I went into Computer Management in XP Home and deleted all the Fedora partitions. When I tried to reboot, i got a text version of the GRUB booter. Panicking, i reinstalled XP. GRRRR big mistake. now I have XP on two partitions. However, when I start the computer, two Windows XP Home Editions come up - normal practice for dual partition. BUT when I enter my old partition, the XP Home setup program comes up and says

SETUP is restarting......

and the computer reboots. I can access all my files from the other partition, I just cant get into it :thumbsup: . So - here come the questions, can I:

a) reinstall XP on the original partition without it swearing at me because I'm a pirate if I try to register the software.

:flowers: transfer MOST of my files to the new partition and then delete the old one.

c) restore the system to normal.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:00 AM

Yes you can reinstall XP without it stopping you. If it does cause a problem a simple call to microsoft will reset your install license so thats not a problem. Just pick the partition you want to install, rename windows to windows.old so you dont lose anything and install windows onto it. Then delete the other partition and fix the boot.ini on the XP partition to only show the xp installation that works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users