Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Code From Frontpage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newhopeshelby

newhopeshelby

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

Ok, a friend asked me to help with a website. They would prefer I not use Frontpage because they don't have the program but they did like some of the navigation buttons they have on there. Is it possible to set up the pages and then copy the HTML coding into another program so that an FTP program can be used? I would assume if that's possible that I just need to copy the code.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'd be most grateful for any guidance. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

I don't really catch your question but I'll try to answer.

A program like Dreamweaver/Frontpage are just to help you to create your website more easily. Which means you don't have to hard code every single stuff for the page. But the end result would be the same. So copying the code from whichever program would gives you the same result.

#3 newhopeshelby

newhopeshelby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

I figured that I wouldn't explain that right. I want to take the code from Frontpage using their HTML setting and put it into something like Notepad so that I can use a different program for uploading. I do know that Frontpage ends up adding a bunch of code that really isn't needed, or so I was told. How do I know which part is needed and which part isn't?

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:50 AM

Yes, editor do automatically generate out some codes that isn't really needed in some cases. Unless, you are trying to shorten the length of the code, I find it not really important to remove them unless they are causing some problem.

Well, if you really want to remove those, then you need to have the knowledge in HTML. Then you will know what is needed and what is not.

#5 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

I'm still getting used to Front Page (and am having a specific problem with it) but what you get as a code page when you use F.P. is what is called a "Front Page Extension".

It takes all the code that Front Page generates to display the page the way you see it in the Design mode. Not all web hosts handle these "Extensions".

After looking at a code page that F.P. generated, it seems to me it would be easier to just break out Word Pad and write the darned thing than it would to try and edit a F.P.Extension and still have some page left..

Good Luck,
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:24 AM

Frontpage is the bane of validation. You could use one of the many free/open source editors out there; you'll likely get better code from them than from MS Frontpage.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users