Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Disk Read Error Occurred

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

i get the a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart message when i startup my computer. when i put the xp disk it boots fine. this started happening when i dual booted xp and vista. i decided to switch back to XP. so i removed the boot loader and restored the original settings via a tool i downloaded. then i reinstalled windows XP, it still gave me the same error. then i used fixmbr in the repair console. still didnt work what should i do next?

i am using windows xp pro sp2 with all updates..
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:15 AM

Hello AMD010,

You said you tried the fixmbr command. Did you also try fixboot?

Fixboot
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

This could be a symptom of a hard drive that's preparing to fail on you.

First, backup everything that's important to you to some sort of removable media.

Then try running "chkdsk /f /r" from the Run dialog. It'll ask to run at the next reboot, select Yes and then reboot.

Also, you can download a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (most offer this) and test your hard drive to see if it is failing.

Edited by usasma, 17 July 2007 - 05:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

Hello AMD010,

You said you tried the fixmbr command. Did you also try fixboot?

Fixboot

This could be a symptom of a hard drive that's preparing to fail on you.

First, backup everything that's important to you to some sort of removable media.

Then try running "chkdsk /f /r" from the Run dialog. It'll ask to run at the next reboot, select Yes and then reboot.

Also, you can download a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (most offer this) and test your hard drive to see if it is failing.

i tried using fixboot-didnt work

i also ran Wester digital diagnostics tool that came with my hard drive and it passed.

i will now try the chkdsk
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#5 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

nope tried the chkdsk and it came back clean? now what

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

When you ran the Western Digital test, was a quick test or the full scan, which would take an hour or so?
The problem you're having sounds like a hard drive error since a Windows reinstallation should have worked fine, except then it shouldn't be passing the hard drive tests.

When you did the XP reinstall, was it a full reinstall? Format the drive/partition first, start clean?
You could also try the Bootcfg /rebuild process, though I don't know if it would help you much.

Only other thing I can think of is make sure the hard drive is still in the proper boot sequence and the computer isn't trying to boot off of a blank floppy or something dumb like that.
Posted Image

#7 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

when i ran the test it was a full scan it took a while.

i did do a full reinstall format/partition/install..i will try the bootcfg

i checked the boot sequence, its set to boot to the cd rom other wise windows wont boot because it uses the disk to start windows.

i will double check everything though.

Thanks

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#8 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

sweet not exactly which one of these steps ended up working but ended up reseting the bios. and double checking everything again. now it boots fine with out the XP cd

Thanks everyone for there help.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users