Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Antivirus Programs... Is One Enough?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scotslass

Scotslass

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

:thumbsup: Firstly delighted to let you know that after reading a post on 'I have got it all,how do I delete it?', with the help of Master5270, I followed instructions involving other Antivirus programs having to be installed on my computer. Now I'm no computer whizz, but felt I had similar problems to nicks_comp_bad. I followed the instructions exactly, and then all the annoying junk was deleted!!

So far, touch wood, it hasn't come back.

I originally had McAfee which came as a disk with my new computer.

I had to instal AVG Grisoft, a free program to determine I had a problem.

I then followed Fozzie's removal plan, and installed SUPERAntispywareexe.

I then went to BIT free Online Scanner.

Can someone advise me on what to do to ensure my computer is best protected. I'm hoping to find a good free program.
Is it not good for a computer to have so many antivirus products running together?
Thanks a million :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

There is a major difference between Anti-Virus applications and anti-spyware applications, since they do different things. Generally speaking, it is recommended to have only ONE Anti-virus running on your computer, especially if you are using a real-time protection feature. You may have several AVs installed, but only one active at a time; be aware, though, that your regular AV may detect and quarantine the other's virus definitions. I would suggest you retain only one AV, and use one of the many on-line AV sites as a "double check."
Anti-spyware applications are somewhat different. Again, if you have real-time protection availalbe, use one only, but keep others on your hard drive for "on-demand" scans. Remember that each AS company has a slightly different set of criteria for what consitutes spyware, so each AS will look for, and find, a slightly different group of spyware. Using more than one to scan your hard drive thus makes sense.
I hope this helps you to understand the difference and allow you to give yourself a layered protection that runs smoothly. Please reply if you need additional clarification.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Steve88

Steve88

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

Hi John!

Thank you for the additional information regarding the differences between AV and AS.

I just started using NOD32 and it is advertised as having AS. I also have Ad-Aware SE Pro.

After installing the NOD32, I uninstalled the Ad-Aware. Is this correct? Can I run both? Or should I only run Ad-Aware 'On demand"?

THanks for your time.

Best regards,
Steve88

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

I'm am pretty certain you didn't have to remove Ad-Aware... One is an anti-virus, and the other is anti-spyware... I'm pretty sure you can have both running since they are not the same thing
Goodluck :thumbsup:
~Roadblock!~

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

I am not up on the specifications of Nod32, and whether its antispyware provides real time protection or not. If it does, then turning off Adaware seems to be indicated, but I would certainly keep the option of running it on-demand, and doing it on a regular and frequent basis. I don't think that you would have the same kind of system problems running both A-S applications at the same time, but certainly the additional system resources would tend to slow down your computer.
Perhaps someone with greater experience using the two applications could provide better advice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

NOD32 does provide protection for viruses as well as adaware/spyware/riskware, etc.. & is very effective at it. It has multiple modules witch monitor different things. If you want to see what they specifically cover, open the Control Center by clicking on the NOD32 icon in your taskbar, highlight each item under Threat Protection Modules & then click on Setup & you will see what each module covers.

After installing the NOD32, I uninstalled the Ad-Aware. Is this correct? Can I run both? Or should I only run Ad-Aware 'On demand"?

You can run both together on your system either with real - time protection active or on demand (your choice) without problems; however, you may want to read through this link at the Lavasoft forums as an example of what you may come acrosss:

Click > AdAware SE & Nod32.

Also, if you have not done so already, go through the steps here > Extra Settings for NOD32 to give you maximum coverage. These are highly recommended steps & will also give some insight as to how the program works.

#7 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:23 AM

I too am not sure whether i can have certain programs.

Is it okay to use Spyware combined with Trend Micro real time protection?
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#8 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

Yep. As stated in your other post here you should be fine with all the programs you have listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users