Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Reboots On Its Own

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

This is getting very frustrating...It doesn't matter what I am doing, accessing the internet or working in a program, my computer locks up and after a couple seconds it reboots on its own. There is absolutely no error messages of any kind. I have checked the event viewer and nothing is listed.. Yesterday my computer rebooted over 40 times and has started it all over again today. I can't get anything done because I get in the middle of something and it locks up and reboots, then I loose all of my work that was done...I have done full system scan and used adware and the computer comes up clean of adware or virus. Help Please !!

Another problem I'm having is Cd's that have an auto start no longer start automatically when inserted into the CD ROM. I have to access them through the start and run...

CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hi carinsharon, there could be a number of reasons why your PC keeps rebooting, hardware, software or have you run a full scan for a virus? Try this link http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
Im not saying it is a virus but it needs to be eliminated.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

Hello carinsharon,

This type of rebooting behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

As for your CDs that no longer auto-play, you could try using Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 warmride

warmride

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:31 AM

This is getting very frustrating...It doesn't matter what I am doing, accessing the internet or working in a program, my computer locks up and after a couple seconds it reboots on its own. There is absolutely no error messages of any kind. I have checked the event viewer and nothing is listed.. Yesterday my computer rebooted over 40 times and has started it all over again today. I can't get anything done because I get in the middle of something and it locks up and reboots, then I loose all of my work that was done...I have done full system scan and used adware and the computer comes up clean of adware or virus. Help Please !!

Another problem I'm having is Cd's that have an auto start no longer start automatically when inserted into the CD ROM. I have to access them through the start and run...

CarinSharon

hi
i had the same problem .i would say overheating problem (99%)
i took off the cover and found that my video card fan was hanging off /broke ..replaced the fan ,now no more rebooting problems :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

The lack of error messages in the Event Viewer suggests that the reboots are caused at a level that Windows doesn't recognize. Most commonly this is caused by a hardware issue that's well below the threshold that Windows recognizes (since Windows has some access to the BIOS also).

As others have suggested, the most likely cause is overheating, but there's also other hardware issues that could cause this. Try the overheating/cleaning suggestions first, and if that doesn't fix it we can move on to test other hardware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users