Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Will Not Boot (after Malware Removal)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bostella

bostella

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Hi, I'm just arriving from the Spyware/Malware topic, where SifuMike helped me a lot. I got rid of several Trojan viruses and various Adwares, but my PC will not boot. I fear the boot sector to be sick...

Whichever boot mode I select (Safe, Safe with Network, Normal, Debug, Command prompt), my PC gets rebooted just before the boot sequence end...I thus chose to force it not to reboot, and always reach a blue screen with UNBOOTABLE DEVICE at the top. It's worth mentioning that all along the infection, I couldn't use Normal mode, only Safe mode. But now, Safe mode doesnt work either.

I'm using XP Sp2, and have the Windows XP installation CD. Can I boot from an alternate device (floppy ? How do I build it ?), or is there a disaster recovery procedure I can try ?

Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

I'm using XP Sp2, and have the Windows XP installation CD. Can I boot from an alternate device (floppy ? How do I build it ?), or is there a disaster recovery procedure I can try ?

First you must change the boot order in the BIOS. You make the CD drive the first boot device, insert the XP disk in the drive, save changes in the BIOS and reboot the machine. Follow the instructions here.
Repair install-Microsoft
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 16 July 2007 - 03:16 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bostella

bostella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Mark, thanks, this won't erase any personal data on the drive right ?

Btw, I'm getting a weird error,

CDBOOT : Memory overflow error

when trying to boot on the CD....

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

Hello bostella,

I hunted around on the net a little researching your CDBOOT: Memory overflow error. It seems that this problem can be caused if your CD drive is not getting sufficent power. If you have more than one drive on your system try the other drive. Also, you should check all your connections inside the case to ensure that none of them are loose.

Another thing you can try is to burn a UBCD and use that to try and boot your computer. If it works with the UBCD then I would begin to suspect that your Windows XP installation CD is faulty/scratched.

A third option would be to get one of those drive cleaning kits to clean the laser in the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 bostella

bostella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hi Budapest - The CD works fine, just tried it on another PC......

The full error message is :

Boot from AtAPI CD ROM
Hard Drive
(endless loop)

I have built a UBCD which I can boot from too, are there any diagnostics you could suggest ?

Thanks.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

I must admit I'm stumped. You could try running the memtest utility on the UBCD. You can also use the UBCD to copy important files from the hard drive. Hopefully another member here will have some more suggestions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 bostella

bostella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:05 AM

Hi Budapest - does UBCD allow me to backup important user files ? I have an external USB HD I can use for that, just not sure it can be mounted on a DOS session (as I don't think UBCD can start a windows instance).

Thanks.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

The UBCD has file copying tools built into it - but you'll need to ensure that you have a device plugged in that's recognized by the UBCD. My copy of the PE environment recognizes USB devices if they're plugged in prior to booting up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 bostella

bostella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:16 AM

Usasma, thanks. Which tool exactly should I use, UBCD has so many.......

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:31 AM

Try using Necromancer's DOS Navigator.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users