Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 electkma97

electkma97

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

did a search and found serveral firewalls on my computer, how many do actually need and how do remove them

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

1 :thumbsup:

You should be able to remove them if they are installed either by going to Start > All Programs > then finding the name of the program and look for an "Uninstall" feature....or you can remove them from the control panel.

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, then look for the name of the program and click "Remove"

Oh, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Edited by jwinathome, 16 July 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#3 electkma97

electkma97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

thanks, see that i entered the wrong forum,but i am stupid when it comes to computers . i went to start,search, firewalls under files and folders, and seams like 15-16 different ones were listed.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

I doubt that your computer has fifteen different firewalls, so you may be looking at something different. There is, to begin with, no problem of conflicts if you have several firewall applications on your hard drive, AS LONG AS only ONE is working or turned on. The immediate question then becomes which of these is turned on.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 electkma97

electkma97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

okay so how do i find out which one is on

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

You can open task manager and find the process tab, but the application names are often very confusing. I suggest that you download, install, and run Process Explorer (it's free), which will provide more information in identifying the applications running:

You can find a link in the Utilities section of this pinned post:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

If you are unsure about any of the entries, reply with the exact entry as shown on Process Explorer.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users