Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi! and a Hotmail login problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twasbrillig

twasbrillig

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

My home computer runs on XP Home=OS. About 6 months ago I found that I could not get to my Hotmail account. I always got the following message:

The .NET Passport service is currently unavailable at this Web site for one of these reasons:

The site may contain an error or be experiencing a problem that affects the .NET Passport service.

The site may not be an official .NET Passport-participating site.

I soon discovered that I could get to my Hotmail account through my wife's User login and I gave up trying to figure out what was wrong. (Problem not solved.)

I am on vacation now and found the same problem arose on another computer (OS=XP Home) after 2 days sucessfully using Hotmail on two Hotmail accounts: THEN we both got the above message for a couple of days. (At first I figured that there might really be a problem with the .NET service...the site is certainly an official participating site.)

Finally I decided that Hotmail could not be at fault no matter what the message implied. So I then created a NEW USER account. Problem solved! (In a way.) The new user account has no problem. The original account is still denying entry to Hotmail.

Oh yes. The message would make you think that your login failed. However, in trying to get into Hotmail, I attempted to create a new Hotmail account (several times after getting the above message) and the website said that I WAS ALREADY LOGGED in and I needed to log out before I could create a new Hotmail account.

So the problem seems to be within the local computer. My online search about this issue has turned up nothing. Surely others have had this problem, logging into Hotmail, which I now have seen on 2 computers.

Any Ideas? The good news is that we can put ALL THE BLAME on Microsoft...somehow.

Twasbrillig
Murphy was an optimist.
Twasbrillig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twasbrillig

twasbrillig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:02 PM

This probably should be in another forum but I don't quite know where it should be.

Because I am on vacation, I've looked further:

I find that if I login on the problem User account and try to enter Hotmail it fails (as always). If I go to Internet Options/Privacy (tab) and set slider from defaualt (medium) to LOW; it fails. BUT if I set the slider to "accept all cookies"; it works...Every time. Naturally I don't want to do that except as a test.

Also, If I reset the the slider to Low or Medium while logged into Hotmail, I cannot move from the open page or sign out. I just see the attempt to do move to a new page (at the bottom of the screen and the timing bar that never times out. I escape by closing the window.

On the New user account, the default privacy setting (medium) works (allows me into Hotmail).

The problem account privacy tab has a "Sites" button and shows managed accounts...that do not include Hotmail. I tried adding the hotmail account to the list and ALLOWed all cookies from Hotmail. That did not fix the login problem either.

The new user account has no managed sites when I open the "Sites" button.

Both problem computers have SPYBOT installed and active. I will look into that next.

Edited by twasbrillig, 27 January 2005 - 01:16 PM.

Murphy was an optimist.
Twasbrillig

#3 twasbrillig

twasbrillig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:04 PM

The End of my story:

After looking at Spybot, to no avail, updating and doing a search and clean, I also updated and did a search and clean with Adaware SE. The Hotmail login problem was unchanged but I cleaned out several malware items, which is a good thing.

In researching the internet I got A CLUE that helped. When something is blocked, a small icon (a red circle with a white horizontal dash in the center) apears in the bottom right corner of the screen left of the Internet icon. Hovering over it with the cursor identifies it as "privacy report". Opening it showed MSN blocked

SO, I went back to Internet Options/Privacy (tab), Sites (button).

Previously I had looked for Hotmail on the list (It wasn't there). This time I read each entry until I discovered MSN...Blocked. So I changed it to MSN...ALLOW. The problem is now solved and I can enter hotmail with the default (medium) privacy setting.

I also found 3 malware sites ALLOWed and I blocked them. This is immediately after my cleanup. The computor was clean but the door was left wide open for these three malware sites.

I'm glad that I had the time to pursue this. Hope someone else benefits.

Mod Edit: This will be moved a more appropriate forum. Where it can be benefited from the most.

Edited by scarlett, 27 January 2005 - 06:09 PM.

Murphy was an optimist.
Twasbrillig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users