Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Spyware Removal Pop Ups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lotr8403

lotr8403

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

I (like a complete moron) downloaded an Active X Codex something or other (sorry I don't remember what it was exactly) and since have been getting these pop-ups and a gif appeared on my desktop that I am unable to get rid of. I have run PC-cillin which found nothing. I downloaded the installer for Spybot S&D but when I attempt to install it just stops and the program shuts down so I have been unable to run that. Can you please help me? Oh I'm running Windows XP Home Media Center edition and I apologize in advance that I'm not great with comps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

The first thing I would try would be to run your anti-virus scans in safe mode. If that doesn't work post back.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 lotr8403

lotr8403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

How do I boot my computer up in safe mode? I thought I was supposed to hit F12 while the computer was booting up so I tried that and all it did was go to an extra loading screen before starting.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Normally it's F8 to get to the Safe Mode menu.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

Use the programs below to remove the Smitfraud infections and other malware that probably came with it.
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 lotr8403

lotr8403
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

when I restarted in safe mode I was unable to scan with PC-cillin (when I would open the program I would click the scan button and nothing happened. I did however do a system restore back to yesterday which appears to have cured the symptoms. I will proceed as suggested by the 2nd user and repost

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

I think that running SuperAntiSpyware is a good idea.

When you got the pop-ups, what did they say/what website were they from? This will give us an idea of what type of infection you're dealing with there.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:29 AM

Budapest--The part of his first post that pointed toward a Smitfraud infection is QUOTE: " I (like a complete moron) downloaded an Active X Codex " and the popups which were probably advertising a bogus security program.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users