Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update: Error Message

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem.

Windows XP SP2
Dell Dimension 2400
Dialup connection
IE7

For several reasons, I manually update my computer rather than using auto updates. I was attempting to do so last night and all day today without success. I last updated back in April. (My new job has been keeping me busy and I got behind on computer maintenance).

Here's what happens:

I go to the Windows update site in IE. It says that it needs to check for the latest updating software, then says that I need to download and install the latest updating software and there is a button "Update Windows" that I need to click on which I do.

The text now says something about downloading updating software and percentage numbers appear: It pauses on 67%, 84%, 92%, then goes to 100%. Then it is copying files, then it is registering. Each goes to 100% fairly quickly, then I get an error page. See screen shot below:

Posted Image
I have checked FAQ, discussion forums, and troubleshooting on MS pages to no avail. Any ideas?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

If the error occurred trying to update Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) Validation Tool see the following article:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:58 AM

Have you tried the link for Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)? You just can't beat free tech support from Microsoft :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

just me: I really don't think it was updating WGA as I don't seem to have gotten past updating the updating software, but I went ahead and downloaded the WGA diagnostic tool anyway and ran it. It doesn't seem to have done anything, and the article doesn't say what to do with the results either. Tried updating 3 more times - make that 4 more times - since, and I am experiencing the exact same problem.

usasma: I hadn't tried the online support yet, that was next on my list. I'm afraid that's going to have to wait a couple days though because of my work schedule. I'll let you know how that turns out.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of right now that might be causing the problem is that the computer isn't completely downloading the updating updates because of my slow internet connection, slow even for dial-up.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

I had the same problem last week although I got a different error.

# [0x80070020]

The problem was resolved by disabling SpyBot S&D TeaTimer. The update was successful, I then enabled SpyBot. Maybe it will work for you.???

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 16 July 2007 - 07:22 AM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Dennis H. However, I don't have Tea-timer activated.

I've been looking through my event viewer, and I see several error messages about a missing module. I'm going to do a scannow late this afternoon and see if that will take care of the missing module. If so, then I'll try the updates again and see if it works this time. If it doesn't, then I'll go through the on-line help which I won't be able to get to for a couple days or so because of my work schedule.

I'll keep you posted.

Orange Blossom

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

Just a quick update: the sfc /scannow found no problems. Neither did a disk check.

I tried the updates again, same problem. I went to online support and explored there a bit and in doing so found how to get to the Windows Update log. I got a clue there. Here is the pertinent info:

2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Starting registry operations for section cdm
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Completed registration operations for section cdm: status 0
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Starting registry operations for section wuapi
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Completed registration operations for section wuapi: status 0
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Starting registry operations for section wuauclt
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Completed registration operations for section wuauclt: status 0
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Starting registry operations for section wuaucpl
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Completed registration operations for section wuaucpl: status 0
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Starting registry operations for section wuaueng_WebSetup
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll"
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup Completed registration operations for section wuaueng_WebSetup: status 0x80070005
2007-07-17 21:31:56 1820 f84 Setup WARNING: Setup failed while processing registry operations, error = 0x80070005. Rolling back changes.
------
Clearly, something is keeping one or more files from being registered. I have sent an e-mail through on-line support. I should get an e-mail from them tomorrow. Will keep you posted. I wonder what the solution will be. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

Update:

For whatever reason, Kerio Firewall was preventing the updating software from completely installing. I had to turn it off and activate the windows firewall in order to update. Hmm. I have yet to do the August updates. I wonder if I am going to run into the same problem. If so, I wonder what I need to change in my firewall settings to permit the updates to occur. Most frustrating, especially since I didn't have that problem with this firewall before.

Orange Blossom

#9 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

Some firewalls see updating as possibly "gaining access" to your computer.. That Kerio was just being "overly" protective. I've seen it lots of times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users