Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Restarts Randomly While Playing Media Files

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 junks

junks

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

hey everyone,

for the past couple months my PC will restart almost everytime i play either music or a video on windows media player.

I'll play a file, and go to say, for example, my desktop and drag another file to the WMP and as soon as i let go of the drag, the PC will restart.
I used to just deal with it, since it didn't happen EVERY time i played a file but it happened periodically, but now it's just getting out of hand.

I've reformatted a few times, though not for this specific problem and it doesnt solve the problem.

i just turned off automatuic restart but im not quite sure when itll happen again to get the error codes on the blue screen of death, but until then, does anyone have a clue as to why this may occur?

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

Next time it happens post the BSOD errors

btw Welcome
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

will do

and thanks. :thumbsup:

#4 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

ok this is what i just got.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000004, 0x804D790E, 0xB7960E20, 0x00000000)

:thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:56 AM

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e

These are usually hardware compatibility issues - were there any filenames mentioned in the BSOD? Hardware compatibility issues also includes hardware drivers and malware - so that's the place for us to start.

The first thing is to try and recall what happened just prior to this problem starting. Did you install/remove/change any hardware or software on your system? This may give us clues as to the cause of it.

The next step is to check to see if your system has been infected (despite your current protection software). Please perform one of these free, online scans to ensure that the system is clean:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Without being certain that the system is clean, further troubleshooting is risky. If malware is present, it can mess up the fixes that we propose, and it can cause the malware to hide itself even deeper in your system (making it more difficult to remove).

With all that being said, if you can locate any .dmp or .mdmp files on your system, you can analyze them using the procedure at the following link and then post the results of the analysis here for us to look at. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

no, it didnt mention any files in the BSOD.

well the thing is is that it started happening so long ago, I'm not sure what i may have done to make it start happening.
I haven't done any hardware changes to my pc, ever. i leave that to my dad since he knows quite a bit about PC's. (he built my PC some years ago) and he wouldnt do anything to my PC unless I went to him and told him something was wrong.

umm, I'll run those tests and such and post the results. thanks.

#7 Paul-uk

Paul-uk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Have you tried MediaMonkey?

Much better than WMP and I understand that WMP reports back everything that you play/watch.

#8 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

no i havent tried that.

But, just switching over to something else doesnt get rid of the problem. It just ignores it. I'd like to at least fix the issue if i can.

the scan is going right now, so ill post the results soon.

#9 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

ok, the mircosoft live OnceCare scan gave me:

0 results for viruses/malware
now its defragging my C: drive

#10 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

finished the defrag.
i was thinking it may have something to do with my video card?

since, its happening while watching media files or something?

maybe, its outdated? cuz i do know its a pretty old card.

#11 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

this what i got from the mindump debug.

Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {80000004, 804d790e, b7960e20, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!gahti+180 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard
coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
/NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is
happening.
Arguments:
Arg1: 80000004, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: 804d790e, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: b7960e20, Trap Frame
Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:
------------------

EXCEPTION_CODE: (HRESULT) 0x80000004 (2147483652) - No such interface supported

FAULTING_IP:
nt!Dr_kite_a+16
804d790e 0f21c3 mov ebx,dr0

TRAP_FRAME: b7960e20 -- (.trap ffffffffb7960e20)
ErrCode = 00000000
eax=00000023 ebx=b796119c ecx=0006b1c4 edx=7ffe0306 esi=004a9d20 edi=0000004e
eip=804d790e esp=b7960e94 ebp=b7960e94 iopl=0 nv up di pl nz na po nc
cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00000002
nt!Dr_kite_a+0x16:
804d790e 0f21c3 mov ebx,dr0
Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 2

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: wmplayer.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from bf97ae87 to 804d790e

STACK_TEXT:
b7960e94 bf97ae87 bf9831c0 0320027f 00000000 nt!Dr_kite_a+0x16
b7960e98 bf9831c0 0320027f 00000000 00000000 win32k!_except_handler3
b7960e9c 0320027f 00000000 00000000 bc679bd0 win32k!gahti+0x180
WARNING: Frame IP not in any known module. Following frames may be wrong.
b7960ea0 00000000 00000000 bc679bd0 00000020 0x320027f

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
win32k!gahti+180
bf9831c0 ff ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 2

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: win32k

IMAGE_NAME: win32k.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 3b7de698

SYMBOL_NAME: win32k!gahti+180

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_win32k!gahti+180

BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_win32k!gahti+180

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

i'm not sure what it means 100% but....if ya'll could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated

#12 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

Well, I just came here to report a very similar problem and I see this thread. My reboots are only occurring occasionally, not every single time I play a media file. But it's still annoying. The bugcheck I have been getting is also 1000008E, which some Googling shows is often caused by drivers. Since it's only occasional, though, I've been wondering how to isolate what is causing it.

My sound comes from the built-in motherboard chipset, not an add-in card, and uses the Windows drivers for this board. No hardware changes have been made in the sense of adding or removing anything. I did change some BIOS settings recently, but these were minor. I wonder if it is possible to make Windows 'reinstall' its drivers and redetect the hardware?

#13 junks

junks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

im also being told the error may be with Memory?

Like its trying to place data into read only memory?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

One thing you could all try is to update your video drivers. There is an excellent Bleeping Computer tutorial on how to do this.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:40 AM

It appears to me that wmediaplayer.exe may be the cause of this - have you added/removed/changed anything with your media player recently?

Other things to try would include:
1) Another media player program (to rule out the wmplayer as the source of the error)
2) Uninstalling your sound card drivers and reinstalling a freshly downloaded copy
3) Rolling back or upgrading your current version of Windows Media Player

Here's another link to a more detailed report of the error: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.htm

Hardware incompatibility. First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed on the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Faulty device driver or system service. In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you need to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, the service can be removed by starting the system using the Recovery Console and deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x1E. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner’s manual for your computer.

The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk. Check for and delete any unneeded temporary files, Internet cache files, application backup files, and .chk files containing saved file fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk with more free space for the installation. BIOS problems can be resolved by upgrading the system BIOS version.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users