Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bearshare

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Recently I got an application called Bearshare. I'm sure you've heard of it. Great file sharing tool for downloading and sharing music. What I'm curious about is that after you download, install, and run it, it claims downloading music with its P2P program is legal. Now I'm curious how this can be. Last time I checked, downloading music without paying for them was illegal (not that that's stopped anyone). So what's up with Bearshare? Are they lying? Or is it really legal? Some of you might remember that incident with Napster getting sued for allowing free downloads of music. Much like Bearshare except it's P2P.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

Q: Is BearShare legal?
A: Even the most harmless tool can be used for illegal purposes. BearShare is always legal, it's how you use it that determines if you can get into trouble. If you use it to download media files that are made freely available from the author - that is legal. It is illegal to download copyrighted items and BearShare's developers can not be responsible for how you use it. Be sure to read the EULA (End User License Agreement) when you install BearShare so you are clear on this!

http://www.bearshare.com/help/faq-security.htm

Proving once again that Google is your friend. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

I see. Bearshare is walking a fine line. Because it's P2P, Bearshare is not responsible.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

It's like the guy that asks "is that right?", and his buddy say "no, but it's true".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

The other problem with P2P is the propagation of viruses, all the machines that I work on that have P2P software or torrent software installed are normally a virus pit.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Generally, music and text files are usually free of viruses. Even if you do come across the odd one with a virus, just make sure you have a real-time protection and decent other anti-virus software installed. It's the .exe files you need to really watch out for.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

actually you can hide things in JPEG files. There is a thread on how to do it somewhere here at BC will search when I get back from dinner.

Posted Image

#8 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

I've seen it, but thank you for the offer. Actually had one of those annoying jpeg files and it wouldn't let me delete it. As far as I'm aware, it didn't do anything except prevent almost all forms of deletion. Actually had to make a new desktop folder and delete the old one with it. Now I download everything into a download folder, which I shoulda done before. Oh well. But still, music files are pretty safe, I think. Just use common sense and if a music file is only 200kb, it's probably not what it claims to be :\.

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:46 AM

I see. Bearshare is walking a fine line. Because it's P2P, Bearshare is not responsible.

Very true. P2P programs & their respective companies are not responsible because you are connecting to other computers to download files regardless of whether or not they are copyrighted. They cannot control what is on the Gnutella Network since there is not a central server that files are being downloaded from. Bearshare, as well as Limewire & others, support Creative Commons Technology (Limewire also has a copyright filter included). Read more below:

What's New in Bearshare
(click the CC link at the bottom of that page)

Copyright Information

#10 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:50 AM

All P2P applications are legal. It's just the content that's not and I think the contents are mainly illegal.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Not exactly a true statement, idk.
Not all of the content is illegal to share.
Only copyrighted material is illegal to share, if you don't have the copyright holders permission.
There's a lot of legal material available for download; non-copyrighted materia, material whose copyright has expired, new artist trying to get their work heard, etc.

Edited by tg1911, 18 July 2007 - 01:29 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

Not exactly a true statement, idk.
Not all of the content is illegal to share.
Only copyrighted material is illegal to share, if you don't have the copyright holders permission.
There's a lot of legal material available for download; non-copyrighted materia, material whose copyright has expired, new artist trying to get their work heard, etc.

So if an artist does not put copyright on his songs, then it's legal to download?

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

correct idk. Also they can copyright it under Creative Commons or as long as they allow it to be transferred it is legal to d/l it. Its a large gray area between legal and illegal P2P sharing.

notable major label artists who have put music on P2P networks: NineInchNails used P2P to promote the album "With Teeth". System of a Down "leaked" "Cigaro" off of the album "Mezmerize" to promote it. (Just the 2 major recent ones off of the top of my head)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users