Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Scan Fix Or Registry Scam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 madphotos

madphotos

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

do these scans and registry fixes work or are they a scam. if they do which one is best. i used 3 or 4 different scans and all said i had any where from 300 to 600 problems. are there that many problems with my computer?
thank you
mark
eisenhut

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

I am leary of any register cleaner, since they often do more harm to your computer ---if you are not extremely careful---than they do good. Unless you are somewhat knowledgeable about your operating systems, I would avoid using them altogether.
Since we cannot see the report, it would be very difficult to judge its contents or even to determine if they are "problems."
I would certainly think that you would be much better served by scanning your hard drive with several anti-spyware applications.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

The best I have used is the free Advanced Windows Care.

http://majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare...onal_d4991.html

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Be very careful there are several scams out there. Normally if the software wants money, I am leery of it. Microsoft has a very nice utility

Here is the Full Service Scan at Microsofts web site. Requires Internet Exploder.

Edited by oldf@rt, 15 July 2007 - 10:35 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:49 AM

Registry cleaners clean the registry by deleting what the author thinks are unnecessary/incorrect keys. Since registry entries are made up by many different people, it's possible that what one person thinks is a bad key - another may think that it's a good key (this is a rather simplistic scenario that doesn't consider a lot of other issues/processes).

I used to use the old version of Microsoft's RegClean on a regular basis - and it hosed my system. I've used others with the same result. So my conclusion is that if you need it, you use it with the understanding that it may actually make the problem worse. I only use a registry cleaner when I'm desparate for a solution - and when I can accept the fact that the system may become unstable because of it.

Finally, the only registry cleaner that I use these days is the last freeware version of JV16 PowerTools - and it makes me decide which keys to delete. So any errors are my own durned fault!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

Requires Internet Exploder.

I just cracked up when I read this typo.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Not a typo.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

Not a typo.

Lol! Someone doesn't like IE. Anyway, I like the full service scan.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#9 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

madphotos as you can see by the opinions given here the general consensus is "if you use one, then KNOW what it is finding". The simple fact that you have 300+ errors doesn't mean your system is in trouble, it could be that 299 of those errors are merely broken "shortcuts" the registry has. A registry shortcut is exactly like a desktop one, that is, a link to a certain file or program. For instance if you downloaded a file and saved it on your desktop, the registry creates an entry shortcut to that file location. Later you delete or move this file and whallah you have a broken shortcut which nearly all reg cleaners will identify as an error.

Me personally i use Registry Mechanic because it's interface shows me every detail of every entry and gives me the option of how to treat it. Like all reg cleaners even mine returns "false positives" so the fact i know every system and every piece of software on my PC allows me to recognise these bad calls and remove them from any action, even allowing me to have them ignored in future scans. Like USASMA suggests your result are only as good as the software authors interpetations.

Back up the registry first, and then tread carefully
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users