Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Final Pc Build

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jackfrench89

jackfrench89

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:36 AM

So the time's arrived for me to put everything together, as I've nearly got enough money. I've got around a week (probably) until I order everything, so I just wanted some feedback on the reliability of the components. Here's my build:

CASE: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570

PSU: CoolerMaster iGreen 500w

DVD Drive: Pioneer DVD/RW Drive (sata)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

HDD: Seagate 400Gb Sata 2

RAM: Corsair 2G (2x XMS2 1GB)

Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI

Video Card: Gainward Nivida 8800GTX

I've got just a few questions.
Firstly, the case I'm getting has a small toolbox seated in the hdd cage, which I've heard prevents a bit of airflow. I'm plannin gon taking it out, so with it taken out, will I have enough system airflow? There's a single 120mm fan at the front drawing in, and two 120mm fans at the back drawing out. I'm just not sure about how much heat the quad core CPU will generate.
Secondly, with the memory, would it be worth an extra 30 dollars to get the next model up, with the 4-4-4-12 timings instead of 5-5-5-12?
Thanks for the time anyone takes to look at this topic.
Cheers, Jack.

Edited by jackfrench89, 15 July 2007 - 03:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:26 AM

You are going to wait until Intel drops the price of the Q6600 later this month?

About the memory going to 4-4-4 from 5-5-5 would normally be a small improvement at best. But with four cores to feed faster memory becomes more important. I would jump on the better memory, but you can do fine without it.

I would think the airflow is enough, but these are often very situational things, depending on the environment the machine is in.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 jackfrench89

jackfrench89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Mr Alpha. As for the questions, yes I am going to wait for the price drops which are coming in a week or so. I couldn't refuse a 50% drop on a quad core CPU. And the room which my computer sits in is usually quite cool, it never gets overly heated in here.
Also, is Gainward a good brand to go for in terms of GPU's? I could get the XFX version for about $60 less. Would it make much of a difference?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

Both Gainward and XFX are good brands. The thing to look for are factory overclocks and price.

Remember that it might take a little while before Intel's price drops make it onto the retail shelfs.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 jackfrench89

jackfrench89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:18 AM

How long do you think the drops will take? I was told they should almost coincide simultaneously with intels price drops?
Also, do you know much about OEM operating systems? Apparently it just comes with the CD and that's it, no box or anything, but thats what I'm after really.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

Since you are using Vista, I suggest getting as much memory as you can afford. Your Vista experience will be so much better with it.

3939.png

#7 jackfrench89

jackfrench89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

Do you think 2gb wont suffice? (also, I just got an email back from the online store I'm ordering from, and they said their prices will fall right on the 22nd! so happy about that)

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

Windows Vista is RAM hog, it will use alot of it. I have 4GB and I find about 50% is always in use in idle right after start-up. However, keep in mind that Vista uses RAM differently when compared to XP so I'm not sure if the OS would scale it back with only 2GB. Nevertheless, as a general rule with computers, get the most amount of RAM you can afford.

3939.png

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:42 AM

You probably have a lot of other stuff running, because I'm not using 2GB of RAM when idle. I'm at 34% of 2GB. Going for more than 2GB of memory really requires 64-bit version of Vista.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:07 AM

I've got 4 gB of RAM on a 32 bit Vista system (only 3.25 gB is recognized) - and am currently using 1.49 gB of it (46%). I don't take any steps to conserver my RAM and am loading and unloading stuff regularly and still have excellent performance. That's with 70 processes running. The work system (Home Premium) has 2 gB of RAM and works a bit more sluggishly. The wife's office laptop has Home Basic and 512 mB of RAM and it was sluggish until I "tweaked" it - now it runs just fine. My Toshiba M35 laptop has 1 gB of RAM with Vista Ultimate and runs just fine (with tweaks).

BTW - I don't use Aero, so it's disabled on my systems. Aero is enabled on the work system.

Edited by usasma, 17 July 2007 - 06:08 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 jackfrench89

jackfrench89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the responses. So do you think it would be beneficial for me to grab an extra 1gb of memory for the PC?

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

Could be. Remember that you have to install memory in pairs to run it in dual channel mode. Also that on 32 bit Windows applications are limited to 2GB address space by default.

#13 jackfrench89

jackfrench89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

Well I don't think I'll need more right now, I think 2gb will do for a while at least. Then some time down the track I might get myself two 512 sticks. Who here uses Vista? How do you find it runs in comparison to XP at the moment under the same conditions?

#14 jackfrench89

jackfrench89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

So i think I'm ready to buy now. One more question before I do: With an OEM operating system, can I reformat and reinstall on the same mobo?

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

You should be able to, you may need to reactivate the OS though.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users