Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Organising 2 Types Of Files In A Folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gail Cregg

Gail Cregg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

I have a folder that contains numbered Word & Jpeg files. I would like to arrange them so the Word files are all together and the Jpeg files are all together and sorted in ascending order. I can separate them by type using the right click menu but it will only sort them in descending order.How do I change the order and still keep the separation between Word/Jpeg?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

Are you viewing them in Windows Explorer?

If so, the first time you click on the heading "type" they will be in ascending order, the second time you click on "type" they will be in descending order.

Or am I not understanding the question. (Won't be the first time.)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Gail Cregg

Gail Cregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:54 PM

Or maybe I'm not explaining well ;-)

When I first open the folder (using Windows Explorer) the files are arranged in ascending order with the Word files next to the Jpeg files eg:Word1,Jpeg1,Word2,Jpeg2. If I right click and sort by type the word file are separated form the Jpegs but in descending order eg:Word2,Word1,Jpeg2,Jpeg1. If I sort by type again they become mixed up again. The colleague and I using this folder have tried various combinations of sort by and asked our Admin Assistant but can not fix what seems to us should be a really straightforward problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.Gail

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

The only way I can think of doing this is to goto view toolbar menu item and click Arrange By then click type. This should then block all of the same file types together. If you wanted to have all of the files seperated then click the show in groups option. This is folder specific and will not do fo all folders.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users