Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In Desperate Need Of Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

I need help with this problem i encountered just a minute ago.. Im using my alternate computer to type this to you... All i simply wanted to do was run in safe mode to perform a standard system virus scan.. Like usual i went to msconfig and clicked the button safeboot ...BUTT i chose the wrong option i chose (minimal safeboot alternate shell) and now it just runs and loads up the cmd.exe... so i can`t get back into msconfig to fix switch it back to normal boot... and when i try to press f8 at boot screen it never has worked even before this.. (it just comes up and says ``which device would you like to boot from`and of course i choose my hardrive and it loads it but since its on alternate shell safeboot.. i have no acess to anything

Can anyone tell me how to fix this please.. This means a lot to me and i had business papers to write tonight :thumbsup:... If anyone knows if its possible to somehow run msconfig through cmd prompt let me know. since im clueless..

Thank you in advance

Roadblock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

On my computer, MSCONFIG.EXE is at:

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

Once you navigate there in a command prompt window, you can type MSCONFIG and it should start (at least it worked on this system).

#3 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

So your saying when cmd.exe comes up i should type in C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries and it should work

or is it C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSCONFIG or something like that

I have no ability to navigate in the sense where i can click on anything... all i can do is type. its a complete black screen with just a cmd.exe window

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

In that CMD window, type the following:

C:
CD \WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
MSCONFIG

Press the Enter key after typing the characters on each of the three lines above.

#5 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

M... I want to start off by thanking you so much for your help.. I was getting so upset at this.. I thought i had done this for good and would have to Reinstall windows....It works now :D.....I can get back to work now

Seriously, i owe you one :thumbsup:

Roadblock

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

You're welcome -- I'm glad you got it working again.

I normally don't post this type of reply because I think the most valuable threads (i.e., useful to other people) are those where the very last post in the thread reads something like: "Great, that fixes the problem!"

Ah well, I won't break my own rule anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users