Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Vista Installation Crashed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hits

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

I am in big trouble. I tried to upgrade my computer with the Vista Upgrade disc today but something went terribly wrong at the end. The upgrade was almost done when my computer suddenly restarted and gave me a "Windows is not functioning" message. It just kept on restarting and restarting for at least 30 minutes. I totally freaked up and didn't know what to do. I still don't know what to do and I'm totally freaking out! I can't access my old windows xp even though it gives me the option of choosing which windows to use when I start up the computer. I have the recovery discs but I'm at lost on what to do with them. Is this problem way too serious for me to handle and I should just ask a professional to help?
By the way, I am on a different computer right now. The one that I broke is almost completely inaccessible. It just keeps on restarting itself no matter which option I choose(safe mood, etc).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 formula1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

mine had a crash and would do nothing..i,m using xp on my main computer..

i put in the xp operating disc and chose repair..it tells you to log in as administrator..and then it waits for a command..type help and hit enter to get a list,,,
then you get to pick from a bunch of commands

i typed in: CHKDSK /R and hit enter..(it checks the disc for errors and repairs them)

it took a pretty long time doin whatever it does but when it was done,,i was back in business..

i,m definately no expert on this ,,,maybe someone better qualified can give you better advice ...
but that worked for me..

hope this helps ....

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

That's the Recovery Console that you're using - and other commands that may help are:

Also you can try bootcfg /rebuild - but be very careful with this one and study the switches before trying it.

This may or may not work as the Vista installation may have already overwritten everything - but it's worth a shot because it can't make things any worse at this stage!

Have you tried the Vista disk to see if you can boot and repair with it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users