Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Security Using Excel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 basaatw

basaatw

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

To the forum

I want to list all the member of a Credit Union vitail data in Excell file, which will have all the phone numbers names and addresses of the person included. How can I guarentee that that information is secure and that someone in the WWW can not get to this info.

I have thought and have been told by the National Credit Union director (CDU) that If I keep the data file on a disk or RWCD that it is save. I don't seem to be able to agree with that but though I put it out there for you the experts thoughts and solutions.

the CDU has told us that we must file online by the end of the year so I need a solution which I can't avoid.

TAOT

BS-Prophet :thumbsup:

Edited by jgweed, 20 July 2007 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

I need some help here

can anyone help

let me know anything even if its a guess just say I'm guessing

BS-Prophet

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

I am not an expert, but I should think that if you maintained the spreadsheet and its data on a CD, and were careful to erase any workfiles that might be on your hard drive, then the information would be secure. I also believe that you can password protect spreadsheets, which would be yet another layer of security in addition to a firewalled environment.
Against a person who is an expert, and very determined, and knows that you have this information, I doubt that any method would assure 100percent security, but I would be more worried about the datadisk falling into the wrong hands than theft through the internet.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 basaatw

basaatw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

All right john good job, I like your ideas and thoughts. Now there got to be some experts out here that must really have the inside info on online security and how to protect your data.

One thing is there not always a trail of you activity when you working in your computer and where and what is that, you know like temp files.

one more thing how does one find their data workfiles to earse them anyone have a trick on how to do that.??

BS_Prophet

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

You can do a search in Explorer for and .wks files on your hard drive and delete them, if there are any.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 18 July 2007 - 09:43 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:22 AM

When you say file online I gather you mean through the www. If this is the case a data disk will not be of much help as this will not be able to be published to the net. I gather you are refering to online data filing and that the file will be on the web host. This is not the most secure form but if needs must. There are a few ways that you can make your system safer if this is the rioute you have to go down.

First make sure you have a robots.txt file on the main root of the web server and define the folder the data is to be stored it as non searchable. This will stop google and other search engines referancing these files in the folder. Make sure there are no direct links on any published sites that refer to this data. People will pickup this info from the html behind the links and be able to save a copy of the file. this is the main thing you want to stop for security perposes. When the file is saved to someones machine they can gotro town oon hacking it. Basically because there is nothing you can do to stop them. I would say make sure the files as password protected worksheets. Not only that make sure there is a VB protection password aswell and have the VB protected. this makes it hard to run a brute force attack on the password.

Basically if the info is in the public domain make sure it is safe. This is very hard to do these days. the other ioption would be to transfer the data to a database and use a asp app to interigate the data. This way the security is in the front end and not on the file itself.

Good Luck
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users