Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computers Very Sluggish

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi - I have three computers, two desktop and one laptop running on my wireless network at home. They are all running Windows XP. A few days back they all started running so slowly, they're barely usable. I've followed the instructions in the Slow Computer section that I found on your site. Seeing as it is all three computers (and I used the laptop outside of my house and it ran just fine), should I assume the problem is with my service provider?

I haven't done anything or loaded anything on to my computers that would have caused this. I was trying to run an instructional video for something from a site online yesterday and I got the message -- "Sufficient bandwidth not available, network overloaded, try again later". Whose network? Mine or the service providers? I'm at a loss as to where to go from here?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like an ISP problem. Or one of your neighbors may be using your wireless or one of your computers has a problem.

Next time you have a problem run the speed test in the link below.
http://speedtest.net/

I suppose it could also be a router problem.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thanks very much. I ran the speedtest and it confirms that all three of computers are running horribly slowly, the laptop the slowest. How would I determine which of the possibilities you mentioned is the culprit?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

I don't use wireless, but one obvious thing to do is to connect one of your computers directly to the cable or phone line line to see if the wireless hub or router is the problem.
If you are on DSL it could be as simple as a loose wire or some phone equipment shorting out.
Are you on cable or DSL?
Just a thought, some ISP's limit downloads/uploads to a monthly max.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

Try changing the channel your router and computer are communicating on. In the States the default is channel is 6. Select a different channel.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

I hooked the cable directly to the computer as opposed to running it through the router and then ran a speedtest. It came
out fine. So the problem isn't with my ISP. It's with my router or one of my computers. Why it started all of a sudden, I don't know but at this point it goes beyond my ability to fix...I guess I'll have to call the Nerds on Wheels or something. But thanks for the advice.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

I would pick Acklan's brain for the fix. Or go to Walmart for the router or whatever your hardware setup is.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

I hooked the cable directly to the computer as opposed to running it through the router and then ran a speedtest. It came out fine. So the problem isn't with my ISP. It's with my router or one of my computers. Why it started all of a sudden, I don't know but at this point it goes beyond my ability to fix...I guess I'll have to call the Nerds on Wheels or something. But thanks for the advice.

There are two thing I would try that will only take a few minutes and not cost you a service call fee.

1) Go to the Manufacturer's website, and check for firmware updates for your router. With programs changing all the time and how they interact with other softwares there are aways updates.

2) Use a program called Cablenut to tweak your settings. I personally use it and recommend it.

Cablenut

This is a companion page that will allow you to "Fill in the blanks". Went you are done simple download into the CSS folder in the Cablenut folder.

Cablenut Configuration Page.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users