Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unplug Mouse For Cleaning?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pendejo

pendejo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

I'm not computer savvy but I know enough to know that my mouse needs to be cleaned (jerky, sticky, halting, erratic on the mouse pad). I've found several tutorials and how-to's on the Net. All of them say to unplug the mouse from the computer before starting to clean it. I'm kind of hesitant to unplug it because gremlins and all things electronic seem to hate me. I'm concerned that when I plug the mouse back in to the computer, the computer might not work right. And besides, it will be hard to unplug -- I'll have pull the computer out from under a desk to unplug it. Why is it necessary to unplug it? There couldn't be much electricity in that cord to it.

The mouse is ancient -- Logitech with a little ball peering at me from a hole in the bottom.

Thanks in advance for info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hexoff

hexoff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hello Pendejo:

just shut down your system and you will be fine. pull out the ball and you will probley see a lot of dirt on the rollers. good luck.

Hexoff

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

There is no need to disconnect the mouse if your computer is turned completely off. You can remove the trackball fairly easily to remove and clean it, and then clean the the rollers inside the mouse with dry Q-tips.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

You could eliminate cleaning your mouse now and forever in the future if you were to get an optical mouse. They never require cleaning. Of course, you would need to unplug your old mouse and plug in the new one... but only once. I prefer Microsoft and Logitech models - you don't need to spend over $20 US or so for a good one.

Here's a typical one though I'm a bit partial to Logitech mice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Optical-USB-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice that this model is both a PS/2 *and* a USB mouse. This is the best way to go since it will work on any computer. It has a little adapter on the end of the cable that converts the connector from a USB plug to a PS/2 type. (USB is rectangular, PS/2 is round) How you want to use it is up to your computer. Most towers have PS/2 jacks for the mouse and keyboard, though the newest Dells are cheaped out and have only USB jacks.

Here's a PS/2 -only Logitech mouse:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-M-SBF90-BLACK...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, by the way, unplugging and re-plugging your mouse and keyboard even while your computer is running is perfectly safe - for you and the computer. If you need to pull your computer out from a cubby then shut it down first. You don't want to be bouncing around the hard drive while it's running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users