Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbiased Websites?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

In another thread, we mentioned the difficulty in finding websites that do not have a bias or agenda.

Not that that is always a bad thing - BleepingComputer certainly has an agenda - to help people with their computer problems.

But, when discussing various topics, either here or on other websites, it is helpful to be able to find useful references that aren't distorting the information you would like to use when discussing the topic.

I believe this is one regarding US Politics -

Fact Check Org

Maybe other members will share sites that they've found and believe are reasonably unbiased sources?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

I do not believe there exists such a thing as an unbiased website, or any unbiased human writing for that matter.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Actually, I agree, Mr. Alpha.

But, I'm sure there are some that distort their information much less than others.

#4 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

hmmmmm what an interesting conundrum you pose Mr Who, it adds thought to the old phrase " don't believe all you read" but how can one know with the internet being the subversive animal it is :thumbsup:
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

Yes, dfence -

but there must be some that are either less biased than others or at least close to the center regarding certain topics.

It's not just websites, either - newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, ancient cuneiform script, whatever.

Another site I believe is reasonably reliable -

Snopes - Urban Legends Reference Pages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users