Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Format Removable Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rw_stebbins

rw_stebbins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

I feel lke a novice, and maybe I am. I have an external hard drive box and a new unformatted hard drive. I can't get it formatted. It doesn't show up on the drive listing in Windows Explorer because it's not formatted. So the Admin Tools | Computer Management hard drive listing doesn't show it, and that's where XP says to format it from. Maybe there's a "diskpart" command that's supposed to work. Thanks in advance for your help. Removed EMAIL

Removed Email address to protect member from SPAMBOTS. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 14 July 2007 - 07:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Did you partition the drive prior to formatting?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rw_stebbins

rw_stebbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

External HD has been neither formatted nor partitioned. How do I partition this? Thanks.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

If it is visiable to windows you can use the Disk Management to create a partition. The Disk Management is located under Computer Management in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.
Make sure and create a NTFS partition, although XP will see and use FAT32.
Then you format the partition.

#5 rw_stebbins

rw_stebbins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

It's not visible in the Disk Managament HD listing so I can't select it for any format or partition oprtation. What about an XP OS CD and installing this HD (temporarily) inside the computer? Will the OEM CD format this drive? Thanks...

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Temporarily putting the drive inside the computer is very good since it eliminates any problems you may have concerning the external case. The external case may be dead for all you can tell. If it is an IDE hard drive (wide data cable) and you want to share the data cable with another existing drive be sure to set the jumper on the back of the new drive to the Slave position. I find it easier to simply temporarily pull the power and data cables off the optical drive(s) and not mess with the tiny hard-to-handle jumper. Either way, check the label on the top of the hard drive to verify the jumper is in the proper position, either Master or Slave.

The OS should now see the drive and Disk Management, too. If not then you have a bad drive. If so, then partition and format the drive using Disk Management. There is no need to mess around with the XP OEM install disc to partition and format your drive, though this is entirely possible and necessary building a brand new system.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

If you cannot see the drive from the Disk Manager then removing it and temporarily installing it in your computer is indeed a good option. I would have though that the drive would have appear as unassigned disk space. It would neither show a partition or a format, but like I said it should show undefined space.
Is it USB, Firewire, SCSI, Parallel,..?

Edited by acklan, 14 July 2007 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users