These topics should be structured so the product and its features are explained in the first post, with relevant links to further information and how to download the program or trial. This topic will then be used to discuss the various features, give opinions, and ask questions to the developers. It is also permissible to create topics based on the particular version of software, so a topic for both XYZ 1.0 and XYZ 2.0 are allowed.
When creating these topics the topic creator must follow the following rules or the offending content may be edited or the topic deleted:
- Before creating a new Product Topic, please make sure one does not already exist in the particular forum by consulting the Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Product Topics list.
- A product developer can only create a topic for their program if the product is free or has a full featured trial of some sort. We require that a developer contact us before posting their topic. This is so we can verify they are are an actual representative of the program and so that we can assign them a custom title that denotes this. This is a procedure we have been following for a long time and has given our members the assurance that they are actually talking to an actual representative of the company or service.
- Members may create a topic about a product they would like to discuss without prior authorization as long as they follow the rest of the rules in this list.
- Product Topics for programs in BETA may be created. We ask, though, that the developer or topic creator disclose that it is in BETA and that the use of the program is done so at the user's own risk.
- Promotional or giveaway topics are allowed as long as the poster is not receiving any benefits from making the post. If you are a fan of a particular program and they are having a giveaway, then feel free to post about it. If an existing product topic exists for this program, make sure the giveaway/promotion topic contains a link to the product topic so other members can learn more about the program. If no product topic exists, then one must be made first before creating a promotion/giveaway topic.
- Topics to discuss Anti-virus or anti-malware tests and comparisons are allowed. If discussing a particular test results, you must include a link to the source for validation purposes.
- Affiliate or Referral Program links are not allowed for any reason. Any use of these types of links will be considered SPAM and could lead to banning from the site.
I know these rules may appear strict, but this allows the mods at Bleepingcomputer.com to lower their SPAM identification thresholds so that these topics can be created. If you have any questions regarding these rules, please feel free to contact me via private message or email.
The BleepingComputer.com Staff