SecurePCCleaner is a rogue privacy protection program that is in the same family as WinAnonymous and PrivacyConductor. SecurePCCleaner is advertised through the use of fake security alerts stating that your computer has some sort of security risk. These alerts are fake, and are being used to scare you into downloading the software. Once downloaded and installed, SecurePCCleaner will scan your computer and list a variety of security risks that are either highly exaggerated or entirely false. In order to remove these so-called threats, though, you would first need to purchase a license of the software. It goes without saying that you should not purchase this software.
This guide will walk you through removing the SecurePCCleaner program.
Entries for this program found in the Uninstall Programs control panel:
Tools Needed for this fix:
Symptoms that may be in a HijackThis Log:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SecurePCCleaner] C:\Program Files\SecurePCCleaner\GDC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gdcw] C:\Program Files\SecurePCCleaner\data\GDCW.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Salestart] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SecurePCCleaner\stm.exe" dm=http://securepccleaner.com ad=http://securepccleaner.com sd=http://ilp.securepccleaner.com
03/21/08 - Initial guide creation.
Automated Removal Instructions for SecurePCCleaner using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
- Below are the steps to remove SecurePCCleaner. BleepingComputer has always prided itself on its trusted online support. We are excited to recommend Online Virus Repair Inc. for the same trusted support via telephone. If you are having trouble with the below steps or if you would prefer to speak to someone over the phone, you can contact Online Virus Repair at the below number.
Premium Phone Support
Otherwise, as always you can always ask us for further help in the forums.
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove
all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry
keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM
may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message
stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer
has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the SecurePCCleaner program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help
This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.
BleepingComputer.com can not be held responsible for problems that may occur by using this information. If you would like help with any of these fixes, you can ask for malware removal assistance in our Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.
If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our Am I infected? What do I do? and someone will help you.