Windows Police Pro is a rogue anti-spyware and ransomware program from the same family as Windows Antivirus Pro. Like its predecessor, Windows Police Pro will be configured to scan your computer every time that you login to Windows. When the scan has finished it will state that your computer is infected with a variety of infections and will not remove these infections until you purchase the program. The infections it states reside on your computer, though, do not actually exist and you are just being shown false information to scare you into thinking you are infected.
This program also acts as ransomware as it will make it so that you cannot run numerous security programs on your computer. When you attempt to run one of these programs it will state that the program is infected and that Windows Police Pro has blocked you from using it. It will then prompt you to purchase the program to clean the infected program. Last, but not least, Windows Police Pro will display fake security alerts and a fake Windows Security Center that state your computer is under attack and that you should purchase Windows Police to protect yourself. Like the fake scan results, these tactics are just being performed to persuade you to buy the program.
If you find that Windows Police Pro is on your computer, then please do not purchase it. Instead, you should use the removal guide below to remove this program and any associated malware for free.
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we may need to close every window that is
open later in the fix.
- Before we can do anything we must first end the Windows Police Pro process
so that it does not interfere with the cleaning process. To do this, please
download RKill to your desktop from the following link.
Rkill Download Link - (Download page will open in a new tab or browser window.)
When at the download page, click on the Download Now button labeled iExplore.exe download link. When you are prompted where to save it, please save it on your desktop.
- Once it is downloaded, double-click on the iExplore.exe
icon in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with
Windows Police Pro
and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the programs looks for various
programs and closes them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically
close. Do not reboot your computer at this point, or the infections
will start again.
- Now we need to end the two processes associated with Windows Police Pro
as they do not allow you to run any applications that we will need to remove
this program. To do this we need to launch the Windows Task Manager by right-clicking
on the time in the Windows task bar and then selecting Task Manager.
The menu showing the Task Manager option is shown below.
- When Task Manager is started you will be in the Applications section as
At this point you should click on the Processes tab.
- You will now be at a screen that shows the running processes on your computer.
First put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Show processes from
all users as shown in the image below.
Then scroll through the list till you see the process called Windows Police Pro.exe and left-click on it once so it becomes highlighted. Then click on the End Process button as shown by the red arrow in the picture above. If the processes do not exist, then please proceed to step 8.
- When you click on the End Process button, Task Manager will ask you to confirm
if you are sure you want to terminate it as shown in the image below.
At this point you should press the Yes button in order to kill the process.
- After you have ended the Windows Police Pro.exe process,
scroll through the list of processes until you find the svchast.exe,
svchasts.exe, or svohost.exe processes.
Then end this process as well by clicking on the End Process button and confirming
that you want to end it. Please note that in Windows there is a legitimate
program called svchost.exe, so please be careful to only end the process with
the spellings svchast.exe, svchasts.exe,
or svohost.exe. If these processes do not exist, please continue
to step 9.
- Now you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup-bc.1878-220.127.116.113.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the
Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish
button. If MalwareBytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that
you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically
update itself after the install, you can press the OK button
to close that box and you will now be at the main program as shown below.
- On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform
quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan
button to start scanning your computer for
Windows Police Pro
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image
You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the Windows Police Pro removal process.
- You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should
click on the Show Results button.
- A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown
as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and
display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Windows Police Pro program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.