Virus Sweeper is a rogue program that is a clone of Virus Alarm and Virus Doctor. These particular rogues are notorious for their use of Google Code to distribute its software. Google Code is a programming project repository that allows programmers to host files related to their projects. Virus Sweeper's installer then uses Google Code to download and install the program onto your computer. Only when the program can't be downloaded from Google Code will it then utilize other servers that are under the malware writer's control. When the program is installed it will also create a variety of files randomly throughout your computer. These files are harmless but will be used by Virus Sweeper to be detected as infections.
Once the program is installed it will be configured to start automatically when you log into Windows. When running, it will perform a scan and list a variety of malware found on your computer, but will not remove them until you purchase the program. The malware files it finds, though, are actually the harmless fake malware files that it created on your computer in the first place. While running you will also see nag screens and fake security alerts appear on your computer. These alerts are being shown to further scare you into thinking your computer is infected. Just like the scan results, any security warnings and pop-ups you see from this program should be ignored. Instead, please use the removal guide below to remove Virus Sweeper from your computer for free.
Other stories about this malware can be found here:
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the VirusSweeper program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.