Virus Remover Professional is a rogue anti-spyware program from the same family as AV AntiSpyware and P Antispyware 09. This program is advertised through the use of Trojans that display fake security alerts from your Windows taskbar. If you click on these alerts, you will be brought to a web site prompting you to download and install Virus Remover Professional in order to protect your computer. On this web site you will also see numerous fake awards and accolades attributed to this program. Research has shown that none of these awards are legitimate.
When Virus Remover Professional is installed on your computer it will be configured to start automatically when Windows starts. Once started, it will scan your computer and display a list of infections on your computer that it will not remove until you purchase the program. These results, though, are all fake and the files it states are infections are either legitimate files or files that do not exist on your computer. It displays these results in order to scare you into thinking you are infected in the hopes that you will buy the software. While running the program will also display security alerts and nag screens stating that your computer is infected or has a problem and that you should purchase Virus Remover Professional in order to protect yourself. An example of one of these alerts is:
Your computer is being attacked by an Internet Virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan - dropper or similar.
If you find that you are infected with this program, please do not purchase it. Instead use the removal guide below to remove this program for free.
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Virus Remover Profesional program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.