SafeGuard 2009 is a rogue anti-spyware program from the same family as MS AntiSpyware 2009. In order for a program to be classified as a rogue it must satisfy certain conditions. These conditions include being advertised or installed through the use of malware, displaying false scan results, or using aggressive advertising to make you think you are infected when you are not. The program SafeGuard 2009 satisfies all of these conditions as it:
- is advertised through the use of Trojans that displays fake security alerts
that imply that you are infected and should purchase SafeGuard in order to
- is promoted through the use of web pop-ups that pretend to be online anti-malware
scanners that state you are infected.
- displays false results of infections after SafeGuard scans your computer.
- displays fake screens on your computer, such a as fake Windows Security Center screen, that recommends that you register SafeGuard in order to remove any infections found on your computer.
When SafeGuard 2009 is installed you may also find that your computer begins to act more sluggish or slower. This is because while the program is running in the background it uses up your computers resources that other legitimate programs could better use. It also repeatedly displays nag screens and fake alerts trying to have you purchase the program. This constant barrage of alerts and screens not only slows down your computer, but interrupts the use of legitimate programs that may be running.
This guide will walk you through removing the SafeGuard 2009 program and any associated malware that may have been installed with it.
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Safeguard2009 program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.