iSafe AntiVirus is a rogue antivirus program from the same family as AntivirusTrigger and Astrum Antivirus. This program is promoted via advertisements pretending to be online malware scanners and through the Zlob Trojan. When visiting certain sites you will be presented with a pop-up stating that your computer has security risks and if you would like to run an online scan. Regardless of what you click you will be brought to a page that ultimately advertises iSafe AntiVirus. This rogue is also promoted and installed via the Zlob Trojan. This Trojan masquerades as a video codec required to view a video online, but will instead install iSafe AntiVirus on to your computer.
Regardless of how the program arrives on your computer, it will be configured to start automatically when you boot your computer. Once started it will scan your computer and list a variety of infections that cannot be removed unless you first purchase the program. These infections, though, are all legitimate files or Registry keys and are only being shown to scare you into purchasing the software. While running, you will occassionally see fake alerts stating that an infection was blocked by the iSafe AntiVirus firewall. These alerts are fake as well and are only being used to further scare you into thinking you are infected.
This guide will walk you through removing the iSafe AntiVirus program and its associated malware for free.
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the iSafe AntiVirus program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.