Andromeda AntiVirus is a new rogue anti-spyware program that displays false and exaggerated results that cannot be removed unless you first purchase the software. When installed, Andromeda AV will create 8 harmless files on your computer with the filenames:
These programs are created so when Andromeda AntiVirus is run, it will detect them as malware even though they are harmless and were installed by the program in the first place. This program will also detect other files as malware even though they are legitimate files or do not even exist on the computer. It is this type of deceptive behavior that puts AndromedaAV in the rogue anti-spyware category. Another problem associated with this program is that since it is set to run automatically when you start the computer, it can cause your computer to operate slower. Another annoying byproduct of having this program installed is that it will periodically display pop-up alerts stating that you are infected and should purchase the program.
This guide will walk you through uninstalling the Andromeda AntiVirus program and any related malware that may be installed with it.
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Andromeda AV program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.