Advanced Virus Remover is a scareware program that pretends to be an anti-virus program. In reality, though, this program is programmed to show that your computer is infected even if it is not. It does this in order to scare you into thinking you are infected and thus scamming you into purchasing the program. When Advanced Virus Remover is installed it will be configured to start automatically, and when started, will supposedly scan your computer for infections. When the scan is complete it will state that your computer has numerous infections that it will not remove until you purchase the program.
While the program is running you will also see false security alerts appear from the Windows taskbar. These alerts range from warnings that you are infected to a remote computer hacking your computer. Just like the fake scan results, these alerts are just another attempt to scare you into thinking you are infected. The current text of one of these alerts is:
Continue working in unprotected mode is very dangerous. Viruses can damage your confidential data and work on your computer. Click here to protect your computer.
Regardless of what this programs states, please do not purchase Advanced Virus Remover. Instead please use the removal guide outlined below to remove this program for free.
Self Help Guide
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- At this point you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, to scan your computer for any any infections or adware that may be present. Please download Malwarebytes from the following
location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (Download page will open in a new window)
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave Launch
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.
- MBAM will now start and you will be at the main screen as shown below.
Please click on the Scan Now button to start the scan. If there is an update available for Malwarebytes it will automatically download and install it before performing the scan.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
- When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image below due to the guide being updated for newer versions of MBAM.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Advanced Virus Remover program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.