Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium Won't Boot In Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rsk3

rsk3

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

Have a new VAIO laptop w/Vista home premium. Fired it up, got rid of the junk I didn't want (e.g., AOL, Norton), created a recovery point and created recovery disks. Also, put on AdAware, Spyblaster and Spybot. Now, when I boot, it seems to be in an infinite loop. I get the initial screen, says loading, get the revolving circle, then it goes back to the initial screen. When I boot in safe mode and select 'Last good known conffiguration', it pops up and I can use it with no problem.
Is this a virus, did something get whacked during what I did or is there some config/setting that's keeping it from booting normally?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

Have you tried to Repair the installation yet?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

FWIW, at work we've got a heavily infected VIAO that will boot into Safe Mode even if you select normal mode. I'd suspect that it's the infection at work, but we need more research to try and figure it out.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

This is a home laptp, not work. The laptop did not come with install/repair disks. And, when I boot w/F8, I don't have a repair system option. I don't think that option is in Home edition...

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

If this is a new, unused VAIO laptop, there shouldn't be anything but the OS and the reams of crapware installed on the computer. Some programs install themselves deeply on the system and removing them may cause problems. Performing a repair install may solve the problem, but if it is an infection it won't solve that problem.
Posted Image

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

The only other thing that I can think of is to do a full system restore. on most sony viaos it is your {F10} key, when you see the viao logo on screen right after you turn it on. Start tapping the {F10} key when you first turn on the computer.

Be warned this procedure will format the user partition and put the computer in brand new from the factory state. do not do this if you have any files that you wish to save.

You can then start up the computer and make the recovery disc(s). do this before you do anything else.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

The VAIO restore options are found by accessing Help and Support - there's a Backup/Recovery/Restore option there when you get the first Help and Support window.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#8 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

There were updates from Microsoft, so I applied them. Once I rebooted, it came up fine twice, but then started to loop on login again. I made recovery disks and also a restore point early on, should I bail out and use one or the other?

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

Did you do the full system re load? if you did, Get the diagnostics for the hard drive from the hard drive manufacturers web site, run a full check immediately. Or, call sony, have them tell you who the local service provider is, and get the HDD checked. The os corruption should not happen that quick.

#10 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I ran Hardware Diagnositcs...came back w/o errors.
I ran an online Vista scanner...it came back with over 300 'problems', although it didn't mention what they were. To see/fix, I needed to buy their S/W. Is this thing reliable or a marketing gimmick? S/W is registrysmart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users