Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking A Boat Into The Ocean Requirements

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

We want to take a big john boat into the ocean this fall. Its a fiberglass with a 75hp motor and a good size not to small but not to big.

What do we need to do to get it put in? Permits like fresh water? Atlantic ocean permit? ha ha

We kinda know you can drop in at a dock for a fee I guess unless you can just push it in on shore at a deserted beach.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

Check with the local Coast Guard. There may be rules about life-jackets, certainly running lights, and other safety devices.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,443 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

Try this site USCG Boating Safety Home Page

Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

Check with the Coast Guard before taking that boat out on the ocean. If this Jon boat is of the type I'm thinking it has a nearly flat bottom with a squared off bow, these boats were not designed for rough waters.

Does you boat look anything like this?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

I call it a john boat but its not. Nope thats not it. Its not flat bottomed its fiberglass with a center ridge seperating the two pieces of the bottom.

It looks sorta like this 22 footer.
http://www.fishfiddleresort.com/bt-deckboat1.jpg

Our has a ridge all the way around instead of a front deck. We dont have a shade tarp either.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

I know it'll need to be registerd, operators license, and a Coast Guard approved preserver for every one on board.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

CGM3 - that is not an open sea worthy boat for the "ocean".

Check it out with the USCG!!
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

I will not be dropping it in the water until I know it can be legally.

Not sea worthy you say? My dads pops used to take them in a boat of similar size just out to the Jeddies(spelling) and not to far in the ocean. Just near shore fishing. They did it and were fine.

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

I used to canoe by myself in Lake Superior also. It's a "Forest Gump" game?

(Please don't risk others lives in your ignorance in this gambit. I don't want any Coast Guard or such to risk themselves for your riske` behavior.")

Nuf' said.

Edited by KoanYorel, 26 June 2007 - 04:17 PM.
spelling

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,443 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

It looks like a Bass Boat to me. I believe there are a different set of rules for jetties and close to land boating. You may wish to check the area in which you'll be fishing for their local laws.

Posted Image

#11 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

CGM3 I'm an experienced boatie for the past 25yrs, have been in all kinds of seas and all kinds of weather, and in all kinds of boats. Seeing as i'm in Australia I can't help you with the regulations side of things, but I strongly urge you to consider your own abilities as the FIRST factor in taking any vessel into open water. A 75hp motor is useless in a 10 foot swell with a small to mid-size boat, all it will do is get you into trouble when you try to throttle over undulating waves, conversley it's more than enough in calm conditions.

Check your talents for handling such craft in any conditions, check your craft for the same thing, check that you have every conceivable safety device suited to your venture, and check that those aboard are just as well equipped to cope with the unlikely as you are. If you feel satisfied that you have minimised all the risk factors then let common sense dictate where you take it and enjoy a safe boating experience under controlled conditions.

I live on the waters edge to the largest salt water lake in the southern hemisphere, every holidays I invariably assist with craft and crews who just were NOT well prepared for the unlikely because "The weather seemed fine when we left" or "the boat was running fine till now" or "one of our passengers told us of their phobia just as we hit 1 mile offshore" yadda yadda yadda. Don't be a statistic
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

Hay there CGM3
There are two phrases I want you to think about , one is from Jaws "We need a bigger boat" :thumbsup: . The second is from the Bible "Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God" . I have been in a much bigger "Jon boat" , we called them "landing craft" and they bobbed around like corks in almost any waves over 2 feet . the boat type you showed would be fine for medium lakes and slow rivers . Sorry, but what you need is a boat built for salt water.

Famous last words: "It always worked before" , " The odds of that happening have to be a million to one !"

Edited by no one, 29 June 2007 - 01:48 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users