Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall A Program Whose Uninstaller Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

I have a program that I can't uninstall. I get an error message "Cannot open INSTALL.LOG". The log is right there, in the same folder as the uninstaller. I tried both add/remove programs in control panel, and running the uninstaller directly. Same error, both ways. I also tried to reinstall first over the existing program. No luck.

So I figure that I'll just delete it manually, but would like to ask if I am forgetting anything.

Delete the folder in Program Files

Run a search for both the program name and the company name, and delete all files

(Optional, I suppose:) Run a registry search for both the program name and the company name, and delete all keys. (I'm guessing that if I don't, the program will continue to be listed in the add/ remove programs list.)

Would that about cover it? Or might someone have a completely different idea? Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

An additional thought: Could the information in the INSTALL.LOG be of help to me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

Read all the text files in the program's directory - it may give you clues as to where and what the program installed.

Next, remember to backup everything (files and registry entries) before you delete it! A manual removal can hose your system if you're not familiar with the structure of the OS.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Uninstall Programs Manually
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

try removing your program using one of these progams

http://www.shareup.com/Add-Remove_Pro-download-11835.html

this one is trial not sure how it works
but it may help you uninstall your problem
just remove the program after

http://www.brothersoft.com/utilities/unins...move_20826.html

another shareware from major geeks

http://majorgeeks.com/Your_Uninstaller_2006_d2439.html

http://utilities.softlandmark.com/uninstal...aller_Info.html

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Excellent, highly useful tips. Thank you to all!

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

Some time this works for me. Go to Windows Explorer and right click on the program you want to remove,go to (send to) and pick floppy disc. After all thats done right click on the same program in Windows Explorer and remove it. Keep the floppy for a while just in case you have a problem. If no problems format the floppy. Just as usasma stipulated,BACKUP!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users