Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Plays Audio Ads, Can't Find Source

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gjv115

gjv115

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

I've got Windows XP Pro SP2, laptop.
I picked up a virus and spyware and Sunday and have been clearing them off.

Currently, when connected to the internet (not surfing, just plugged in) the laptop starts playing sounds, specifically a couple comedy routines that appear to be ads. When this happens explorer.exe has a burst of CPU activity and killing explorer.exe stops the sound. No other process appears to be affected, to the best of my limited knowledge. Disconnecting from the internet also stops it.

The sound is sometimes the first thing that starts after a reboot.

I've got Spybot, Ad-Aware 2007, and just bought SpyEraser, and have Symantec Corp Antivirus. None of them find anything.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,558 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Review of SpyEraser:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2091004,00.asp

SpyEraser is a danger to itself and to others. It's poor at removing existing spyware, sometimes killing innocent processes, and it's even worse at keeping systems from getting infected in the first place. Look elsewhere for spyware protection.

Scans very quickly.

Performed poorly in spyware removal and blocking tests; produced false positives. Spyware removal can kill other processes, including Windows Explorer and SpyEraser itself. Forces you to make judgments based on cryptic, sometimes misleading pop-ups.

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum. Follow the directions in the link below.
DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 gjv115

gjv115
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users